Need a USB wireless adapter for Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rbf1138, Jan 21, 2008.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

Are there any that a store like best Buy sells that are compatible with a Mac/Macbook? I need to pick up a signal in another room, and the only way would be to run a long USB cord attached to a wireless adapter...but it seems like none of the bigger brands sell Mac-compatible versions. If anyone knows of a compatible adapter, please post about it!
    Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Consider running Ethernet instead of USB and you can use any number of routers (in client mode), game system adapters, etc... and won't need a driver.

Or, if your main router supports WDS consider an extender like the Apple Airport Express.

B

3. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response...so, heres my issue: I'm on campus, and I only have wireless in the place I'm living, no ethernet (how ridiculous is that). That said, I bought an Airport Extreme, in hopes of doing the WDS thing, but I can't figure out how to set it up to relay the wifi from campus. I have the SSID and the WEP password of the campus net...should I be able to setup WDS with that info, an Airport Extreme, and my Macbook?
    Appreciate all the help!

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't use a WDS setup unless you have control of the Main base station. Meaning that you have to tell the base station to look for any WDS stations. So, although possible, probably not likely because you can't admin the campus wi-fi. So you're basically saying you don't get the Wi-Fi signal in your room? Lame. (sorry no recommendations on Mac USB adapters, D-Link perhaps?)

5. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I get enough of a connection to use the web and download a bit, but I know if I can run a USB adapter to the living room I'd pick up a much stronger/faster signal, hence my search for a compatible adapter

6. porche32 macrumors newbie

Need wireless adaptor for macbook 10.5

hey, is there any wireless adaptor that i can use with ma macbook. I need that usb so i can use it with kismac.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.

7. babsly macrumors newbie

wireless adapter for mac

Try the HWUN2A by hawking, Best buy used to carry them, There may be a
    HWUN3 now. works great.

8. atm1991 macrumors newbie

Hey a few quick questions. I'm looking for a Wireless USB Adapter that supports both injection and de-authentication in KisMAC 0.3. I know the Hawking HWUG1A is compatible with KisMAC 0.3 and these features, but I was wondering if the Hawking HWUN3 is also compatible? The HWUN3 isn't listed at all at this link (http://trac.kismac-ng.org/wiki/HardwareList#USBRalinkRT73baseddevices) but I wondered if maybe this was just because the page hadn't been updated lately.

I like the look of the HWUN3 more only because it said explicitly here (http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=35&FamID=111&ProdID=396) that it was compatible with both Mac and PC. I'm currently running a mid 2009 13.3" Macbook Pro, dual booting Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Home Premium and was hoping the HWUN3 would run smoothly when the computer is booted in either OS. Would this be the case?

9. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

bought a wireless usb adapter off ebay for my mac mini. must install 3rd party software, but once installed works pretty well. Never could find a adapter that supported OSX at best buy, circuit city, etc.