Need a way to decrease backlight

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by foothead, Jun 30, 2010.

1. foothead macrumors regular

I have a first generation iPhone, and I need a way to reduce the backlight more than software will allow. I usually use my phone in the dark, and it is ridiculously bright. There is also a noticeable flicker in the fluorescent backlight, but I figure that it might get better if the screen were more dim.

I am almost tempted to pop the thing open and either install LED backlighting (a huge task, I know) or pop a resistor in there.

If anyone knows of anything to help, please let me know.

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Well, this isn't a great solution, but you can set it to full brightness when it's plugged in and keep it that way with the screen always on for many hours a day. Doing this over a few months to a year will make the brightness of the screen grow dimmer. This will make your dimmest setting dimmer, but it'll also make your bright settings dimmer as well.

3. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting idea. Wouldn't that be bad for battery life though?

There has to be a file I can edit to allow the brightness to go lower...

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

That's why I said only do it when it's plugged in. That way it doesn't effect the battery.

5. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard countless times that phone batteries need to be cycled, and leaving the phone plugged in all the time will destroy it. It definitely happened to my father's GPS.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Well, I was assuming that you were going to actually be using your cell phone as a cell phone. Meaning, I was talking about keeping it plugged in with the screen at full blast for all the times that's it's near a computer or recharger, but you would of course then disconnect the phone from the power cable when you were walking out the door (and then of course you'd temporarily change the screen setting back to normal while you're outside with it).

7. xmtgx macrumors regular

Only for ni-cad batteries, cycling li-ions like in the iphone is bad for the battery, its best to keep it as close to fully charged as you can.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Try this for reading in the dark. Go into settings, general, accessibility, triple click home. Set it to toggle white on black. Then, when you want to read in the dark, do a triple click of the home button (same to restore to normal black on white)