Need a wireless mouse to accompany a MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fstfrwrd, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

'cause let's be honest ... the white mighty mouse looks like **** next to the silver-ish MBP.

preferably slick, simple design

2. azdude macrumors 6502

A long and rambling response...

I had a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000. It was portable, Bluetooth, and had a few extra buttons. It comes with a bluetooth dongle, but in one of the early Leopard updates, Apple added support for connecting to this mouse without a dongle. This was the reason I got it.

I used it for a few months, and it was generally great, but just today I finally grew tired of the occasional random disconnects I was having on my MBP, where the mouse would stop working for 5-10 seconds two or three times a day. I've now had this problem with several 3rd-party bluetooth notebook mice now, on both my PB and MBP. So I went for a non-BT mouse today.

Anyway, my replacement was going to be the relatively new MS Wireless Laser 7000, basically because it's *not* bluetooth (jumping ship for reliability), it's full size, and I *really* like the chrome-on-black aesthetic.

...but, I ended up getting the Logitech MX Revolution due to it's multitudinous functions and nearly universal acclaim among PC and Mac users (via SteerMouse -- NOT Logitech's drivers).

And I'm very happy. This mouse is awesome.

(Footnote: If anyone else wants to try to get the MS 8000 mouse to work more reliably, or if you don't mind using the dongle --- which indeed works reliably --- the mouse is for sale in great condition. Say $40 + shipping... half off retail).

3. ratter macrumors newbie

I have the MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. Small. Works very well, no dropout issues. Long battery life. Looks pretty cool, IMO.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm extremely happy with my Logitech VX Nano! It's not bluetooth, which I would have preferred to leave my USB ports available, but the dongle is tiny enough I can leave it in the MBP all the time, even when putting it in a sleeve or case. The mouse works great, very responsive, programmable buttons, ultra fast scroll wheel.

Unlike some, I've never had a single problem from Logitech's drivers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3271&cl=us,en

Attached Files:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

VX Revolution, second best mouse IMO (MX being best of course).

Dongle can be stored in the mouse and plus this is optimized for the right hand. A bit more "powerful" than the VX Nano.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. azdude macrumors 6502

Maybe he was referring to the two additional programmable functions (zoom in/out slider).

I agree though that the two are *very* similar. It's a bit odd to me that they both continue to exist.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The VX Nano has five programmable buttons, including two that replace the slider on the Revolution. It appears they both have the same number of programmable functions. The most noticeable differences are the size of the dongle (much smaller on the Nano), the Nano's travel case and the size of the mouse itself, the Nano being smaller than the Revolution. Some will prefer the larger mouse, some the smaller. That would be a matter of personal preference and ergonomics. I can see a reason for both to exist and both are excellent choices. In my experience, Logitech products have always been very reliable.

9. Kriggely macrumors newbie

I have been using the VX Revolution with my MBP for six months or so - I love it. Its functionality, form factor and portability are excellent and ideal for a laptop IMO.

However, I found the Logitech driver to be a POS (caused kernel panics). Upon the advise I read on this forum and others, I uninstalled the Logitech driver and bought SteerMouse. Since then I have had zero problems.

For me, SteerMouse has been well worth the $20.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

10. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

11. azdude macrumors 6502

Hmm. It's really not worth the discussion I'm giving it, but the way I see it from the photos:

VX Revolution:
    - Left Click
    - Middle Click
    - Right Click
    - Back
    - Forward
    - Zoom in
    - Zoom out
    - Tilt wheel left
    - Tilt wheel right
    - Search

VX Nano:
    - Left Click
    - Middle Click
    - Right Click
    - Back
    - Forward
    - Tilt wheel left
    - Tilt wheel right
    - Search

Is this correct?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe that's right.... the zoom is the only difference I can see, and that is programmable on the Nano.

13. azdude macrumors 6502

I see. Anyway, though --- we're nit-picking between two awesome mice.

I think any of these three Logitech mice (MX, VXR, VXn) make excellent choices.

14. azdude macrumors 6502

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hopefully, our "nit-picking" provided enough details so people can make an educated choice from the pack. I agree all three are great mice. I, too, was hoping to find a bluetooth version (of the Nano) but Logitech doesn't seem to be fully embracing bluetooth in its product line... the choices are limited. After hearing some of the problems people have had with bluetooth connectivity, I guess it's not such a bad thing to be "stuck" with a USB mouse for now.