Need a wireless USB adapter that will work on 5ghz N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ckny, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ckny macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a 1.83 Intel Mini that I'm using as my HTPC. It is running Plex and I've been having intermittent streaming problems. It's streaming content from an HP MediaSmart 475 that has a wired connection to an AEBS (dual band). I have been getting pauses in the streaming of videos. They're pretty sporadic but driving me absolutely nuts. Also, I've upped the Plex cache to 20 seconds. It's better, but still a problem.

Anyway, the Mini I have is "G" only. I've tried three different mini-pci cards which promised N compatibility for the Mini. None of them have been able to see my 5ghz N network and so I've given up on them. Additionally, I seem to have sent my fan into hyper spin mode from opening it up all the time (yes, I reconnected the fan wire in the front, no idea what's going on..) :mad: The N network is working fine, my newer Mini and Macbook can connect to it fine.

So... I'd like to use a USB wireless N adapter. The problem is that I can't seem to find any that are mac compatable and work on the 5ghz frequency. All the ones I've come across are 2.4 ghz only, and with my dual band AEBS this just won't work.

Does anyone know of a USB adapter that will fit the bill, or can anyone recommend another solution? It's pretty much defeating the purpose of my htpc. The AEBS is like 20 ft from the mini!

Thanks everyone.

Chris

2. ckny thread starter macrumors newbie

Might an airport express be the answer?

I'm not too familiar with the airport express. Can I plug it in to an outlet near the Mini and connect the Mini to the express via ethernet? Then have the express connect to the Airport Extreme as a bridge or something? This would allow me to get N speeds on the Mini while bypassing airport altogether? Or is this not supported?

TIA.

3. baylorfrawg macrumors newbie

"Can I plug it in to an outlet near the Mini and connect the Mini to the express via ethernet?"

Yes. Just extend the network of the AEBS and the AX can pick up the network and feed it through via ethernet.

4. ckny thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So the AX will pick up the 5ghz from the AEBS and the mini will connect to the AX through ethernet, right? Will this give me full N speeds, essentially, will the price of the N give me faster transfer then I'm currently getting connecting to the AEBS g network? I guess what I'm asking, is there any performance hit to going this route?

Thanks for your reply.

5. baylorfrawg macrumors newbie

Just the distance between the AEBS and the AX. Obviously the closer you are to the AEBS the better, but 20 ft. isn't far at all.

Just make sure you are buying a newer model that supports the n.

6. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

use the Express...highly recommend to extend and bridge.

also recommend the Extreme Base Station...best wireless ever.

7. baylorfrawg macrumors newbie

They are already using an AEBS. They just want to get a connection from the AEBS to their Mini via 5Ghz N network....which will work fine. I stream from a N TC to my Macbook and stream Hulu perfectly. We also stream in via N to an AEBS and connect an Xbox to it via ethernet.

The technology of the AEBS and the AX are the same. The AX just has one 1 port for either WAN or LAN while the AEBS has 1 + 3. Outside that they both support dual band 2.5/5.0GHz.

You'll love the setup. It'll be seemless. Shoot me a message and let me know if you have any troubles.

8. ckny thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'm going to go this route. Thanks for the info and I'll post back.