Need a WMV converter.

dataset

macrumors member
Original poster
Hey everyone.
I have a lot of videos that were on my Windows PC and now I have brought them to my iMac in hope of using the new iMovie with them. However, I realized that over half of the videos were .WMV and I need a converter. Can anyone recommend a good (preferably Freeware) converter that will convert it into a mac standard video format?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Dont' know of a free one. Visual Hub can do it, though. And I think there's also a version of Flip4Mac that can do it (although not free, too).

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
I think VisualHub's smaller and free brother iSquint can convert from WMV, but only to MP4.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
ffmpegX is a great programme and only $15 if you want to purchase it (there are no time limits). it converts WMV1 and 2 right now, and they're working on WMV3 IIRC.

VLC can play WMVs, and QT can play them if you download Flip4Mac free.

I can't think of a reason to convert WMV on a Mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
.... Can anyone recommend a good (preferably Freeware) converter that will convert it into a mac standard video format?
If all you want to do is to play WMV files on your Mac, then there is no need to convert them. Download and install Flip4Mac and you are golden.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I wanted to convert them the videos to a mac standered so I could edit them in iMovie.
Flip4Mac may allow you to do that without going through a conversion process. That would be ideal because any conversion process you go through is likely going to diminish the video quality. Its better to keep them in their original format in most cases.