Need a WMV converter.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dataset, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dataset macrumors member

La Mirada, California, United States Of America
    Hey everyone.
    I have a lot of videos that were on my Windows PC and now I have brought them to my iMac in hope of using the new iMovie with them. However, I realized that over half of the videos were .WMV and I need a converter. Can anyone recommend a good (preferably Freeware) converter that will convert it into a mac standard video format?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Dont' know of a free one. Visual Hub can do it, though. And I think there's also a version of Flip4Mac that can do it (although not free, too).

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I think VisualHub's smaller and free brother iSquint can convert from WMV, but only to MP4.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

ffmpegX is a great programme and only $15 if you want to purchase it (there are no time limits). it converts WMV1 and 2 right now, and they're working on WMV3 IIRC.

VLC can play WMVs, and QT can play them if you download Flip4Mac free.

I can't think of a reason to convert WMV on a Mac.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If all you want to do is to play WMV files on your Mac, then there is no need to convert them. Download and install Flip4Mac and you are golden.

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Go here, I explain how to use VLC to convert .bin to .mp4, but it works just the same with .wmv.

Brian

8. dataset thread starter macrumors member

La Mirada, California, United States Of America
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I wanted to convert them the videos to a mac standered so I could edit them in iMovie. I'll look into some of the options you have all given me. Thanks again!

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Flip4Mac may allow you to do that without going through a conversion process. That would be ideal because any conversion process you go through is likely going to diminish the video quality. Its better to keep them in their original format in most cases.

10. Palliser macrumors regular

Thanks! This worked perfectly, helped me move some old files to MP4. Thanks!