Need Admin Password Recovery!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brianj1107, Mar 10, 2008.

1. brianj1107 macrumors newbie

:confused:Hello,
    I bought a used Mac Book Pro 15' from a guy in the army that is leaving the state. I didn't get any dvd's or the admin password. He has left for his tour in Irac & I have no way of getting in touch with him. I have tried the reboot, then Apple/S, then sh /etc/rc, then passwd yourusername. Every time I type the new password, after the second time it just says "sorry". Please some one help I would love to do a reformat or something but I don't have a DVD. I spent over $1000 for this & don't want it to be a paper weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:(

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Either borrow or purchase the Disc for the version of OS X that is has, restart with the "c" key. Once in there, there is a utility to clear the password, or you could just reinstall the OS.

TEG

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If you want to reset the root password in Single User mode, you must mount the filesystem as r&w first.
    So (in Tiger):
    mount -uw /
    sh /etc/rc

then,
    passwd root

4. csc macrumors newbie

Who knows if this is the case--maybe so and maybe not--but that is EXACTLY the story that someone who had bought a stolen laptop would have. Since I just had one stolen, and it was password protected, I STRONGLY believe that the "how to" information to get past that problem should not be casually handed out. Anyone asking such a question should be referred to Apple Tech support.