Need advice - 2012 quad core i7 Mac mini or wait

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ralph123, Jun 22, 2014.

  1. ralph123, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014

    ralph123 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 3, 2014
    #1
    Hi to all, I'm making this post to decide which decision to choose.
    I can buy a 2012 quad core i7 new Mac mini at a good price, or I can wait till the Autumn to see if there's a upgraded one. In your opinion, which is the best decision?
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    If you can wait, wait. If you need now, buy now. The 2014 Mac mini, if it comes in the fall, will have a slightly faster CPU but a much better integrated graphics processor (IGP), thus if you prefer better graphics for your unstated computational needs, and the HD4000 does not suffice those, then waiting might be in order.
    But if your computational needs can be satisfied by a fast CPU, the 2012 Mac mini is quite a fine machine.
     
  3. blanka macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    #3
    If it has a good price, get it.
    You can always resell a Mini for say 100 bucks less if a new one comes out, if you have that deal now, don't worry and buy.

    A new mini will probably have a better GPU (which is irrelevant 90% of the time anyway), yet it will most probably drop many features the Mini makes what it is. Expect to loose:
    - Firewire 800
    - 2x SATA bay for a new proprietary PCI interface
    - the 8 in iFixit. Apple might come with less user changeable options and go for a sub-5 scoring machine.

    If you expect a faster Mini on the CPU, then you can wait till mid-2015 at least since Intel never comes with 6-cores right away. First it is moving existing consumer designs to 14nm, then after half a year or more the professional 6, 8 and 12 cores follow.
     
  4. raniel macrumors regular

    raniel

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Location:
    Ph
    #4
    Sorry to hijack this thread.

    I also have a 2010 i7 mini with expiring warranty this July 7, should I extend it or sell it now and wait for the new version?
     
  5. matrickz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #5
    Just wait for the new one, don't extend the warranty.

    The mini should work without any problems, when you got the new one you can use the old mini as a backup computer, server or as htpc ;)
     

Share This Page