Need advice (4 or 8 core)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rickeames, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Here is what I use the system for:

- Photography (Lightroom, Photoshop)
    - Video (FCE)
    - Dev (xcode)
    - VMWare (Win7)

I'm trying to decide between the quad 2.93 or the 8-core base unit. I know for single core tasks, the 2.93 is going to beat it, the question is do the extra cores make up for it, particularly when snow leopard comes out. I'm running VMWare most of the time.

Advice?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

please search the forums.

Do you know how many peeps ask this question?

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have an older quad-core machine and use it for many of the same things and rarely max out all four cores.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Another one of these questions... I guarantee if you search, there will be 10+ threads each with 10 pages of responses about which to pick. :rolleyes:

5. hehejames macrumors member

If you've got the energy to reply to the actual post? Why can't you reply to the poor fellow who is simply asking a question and if there are other threads... why don't you simply/nicely share the url/link to other threads/references?

Don't be a hater!!!

Buy the 2.93GHz 8-core if you can afford... That's the best/simple response to your question.

You can also refer to the following:

Which pro for me?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=715959

Buying a MAC PRO - Please help me decide on specs!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=708950

Mac Pro - Previous Gen (Harpertown) VS Nehalem???

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=721332

24" iMac vs. Baseline Nehalem Quad

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=726860

And... there are more, but you can simply do a search and find more if needed.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seriously dude. You want every user on here to answer the same ole question over and over and over again? Please search the forums.. I asked politely. Though, if you like to spend your time answering them, that's OK too.

P.S. Welcome to the MR BTW.

Hahaha! That's funny... Sounds like you're more of an hater judging from the other thread, regarding my linguistic ability.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You'll have no trouble running all this on a quad. Most people get by running this just fine on a dual core laptop.

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

We should really make a sticky saying that there are only a few programs which maximise use of all cores available.

Namely:
    FCP
    Handbrake
    3D rendering
    a few scientific programs (if you use these, you'll know it)

And even Snow Leopard will not justify an 8-core machine for anyone who doesn't use one of the above.

Therefore SAVE your money and buy a 2.66GHz/2.93GHz Quad-Core (or an iMac)...

...and put in an SSD Raid 0 if you want speed.

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

+1 for sticky!!!

10. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. I know VMWare also will take over a core or two, so I was curious if that made a huge diff. It still leaves three cores hanging out there with hyperthreading, I guess.

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The cores do not need to be maximized for the advantages of 8-cores to be realized. Instead of explaining let's look at an example:

• Operation: Photoshop Image Resize:
      4 Cores 36 sec. - Per Core Average: 75%
      8 Cores 30 sec. - Per Core Average: 25%

• Operation: Hexagonal full frame Lens Blur:
      4 Cores 3:11 sec. - Per Core Average: 25%
      8 Cores 2:51 sec. - Per Core Average: 13%

• Operation: Surface Blur:
      4 Cores 3:28 sec. - Per Core Average: 92%
      8 Cores 1:40 sec. - Per Core Average: 93%
    So you can see that Per Core Average may increase the benefits but even in low CPU usage situations 8 cores retains an edge over 4 - in this case 8-cores are about 10% ~ 15% faster. This is what I see in most applications as well including many or most of the various OS X parts.

12. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Ah yes, I forgot that the 8-core will be slightly faster anyway as it takes up more background functions. However, I take it that test was done with a 4 and 8 core with equal clock speed? But would you still recommend an octo-core to anyone who can afford it?

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Don't waste your money and get the base 4 core model.

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, the tests were done on the same physical machine but with 4 and 8 cores.

What would I recommend? I try not to recommend anything and just supply information so they can make up their own minds. Usually anyway - sometimes when the whole thread is a senseless kibitzing fest I'll rip a lame comment like "Get the octad!", but not usually. I hope I can NOT recommend ANY of the 2009 models 4 or 8 core. And of the 2008 are there even any 4-core configurations offered? If there are then fine, go for one of those because you can plop another CPU in it at any time and make it an 8-core if you feel so inclined.

15. hehejames macrumors member

Just go buy one (8-core) and we can all talk about pimping your machine ;)

16. hehejames macrumors member

If you went with an iMac and decided to install an SSD or even any other HDD than the one installed by default; you will be voiding your Apple warranty. Just keep that in mind!

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

It doesn't. Don't talk out of your ass.

18. hehejames macrumors member

Since you do seem to have an iMac... and most likely did work on the machine a bit; why don't you just give me your serial number? or we can simply do a three way call to those Apple genius boys/gals.

19. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yep, 2008 quad 2.66 GHz... I am pretty sure it was dual-core dual-processor.

20. hehejames macrumors member

Well... that's what I was told from those smarty geniuses when I had no choice, but to drop off a 1 day old iMac 24" on Sunday due to CPU fan not working. iStat saved my butt!

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why would you need my serial number? My iMac is out of warranty anyway because its almost 2 years old.

Changing the HD in iMac doesn't void it unless you break something in the process.

Edit: oh I see you were talking to yourself ;)

22. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Oh right. That's right. Well the point is that it's upgradable to 8 cores where the 2009 is not. So instead of "plopping in another CPU" you would remove the two in there now, sell them, and replace them with new or used 4 core models.

23. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

If you don't wish to answer the question in hand, then skip to the next thread. Stop trying to change the world by teaching people to search on forums...

Many others are more than happy and willing to answer a repeated question.

24. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Is that of equal core speeds? I was asking about fastest quad vs. lowest octo. I can't afford the fastest or even mid octo. The price jump is huge. So it's either low end octo or high end quad and I haven't been able to find a test of those.

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yes.

Yeah, I wasn't speculating on that, just pointing out an aspect of an 8-cores that might have been missed.

This is why many folks are recommending the 2008 machines. You get them for the price of the current quads but you get all 8 cores and VERY equal overall performance between the 2.8 ⇆ 2.66 octads and the 3.2 ⇆ 2.93 octads. Plus you get the advantage of having an IDE interface, one more open SATA connection, and none of the bugs that come from using hyper-threading.