Need advice about a possible white refurb Macbook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by McDrunken, Jul 13, 2009.

1. McDrunken macrumors newbie

I need a laptop for school and would like something that is portable, reliable, and well built. Speed doesn't matter to much for me as long as it is reasonable. I have always used PCs and this would be both my first Mac purchase and my first laptop purchase. I have looked at a lot of options but am the most happy with the white refurbished Macbook 2.0Ghz, 120gb HDD, 2gb RAM with NVIDIA 9400M from the apple online store, but need to know if it is going to be reliable and long lasting, as I would like for it to last at least 3 years.

My needs are the following:

Word processing (taking notes, homework, etc.,) Presentations, etc.
    Fast and reliable wireless networking
    Basic graphics for photo editing and processing and for very minor video editing
    Good battery life
    Relatively sturdy

I think the MacBook meets these requirements pretty well, but I just want to make sure it is a good choice for me. Also, everyone else in my family uses PCs, and I need to make sure I can do OK with that and open/work with files on other computers, wirelessly use printers, etc..

Other laptops that I am looking at are the Dell Inspiron 13, Inspiron 14, possibly the hp pavillion Dv4t and a few others. I just need some help to make sure that I am getting something significantly more reliable and of higher quality than the above options I mentioned.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

That Macbook is great and relatively cheap! So yes get it.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agreed, and the whitebook usually gets hellacious wifi reception. Heck of a machine for the money, especially by apple standards.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

And you should easily get 3+ years out of it if you take good care of it. Mine's nearly 3 years old and I've had no issues with it.

6. McDrunken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I also would like to know whether I should get AppleCare with it. I probably will at some point but am wondering whether I should buy the AppleCare with the computer or at a later point on Amazon or eBay. Also, I have heard some things about poor display quality and bad back-lighting. I really don't think the quality could be too bad, I don't care too much, but the back-lighting does need to be OK for a decently lit room, nothing more than that.
    I'm sure that it is totally reasonable, but just wanna be sure.

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I recommend getting it on eBay. I got mine for about half off earlier in the year and it was definitely a good buy. I probably won't even need it but hey, $90 (for an iMac at least) is worth it for another 2 years of coverage. At $45/year, I'm comfortable if anything happens.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Absolutely. The peace of mind is well worth the investment. You can usually buy it on eBay for much less than retail.

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

The whitebook will be fine for you- for 3 years. Buy applecare later on to justify the cost, but yes, for the $120ish it will be, it's worth it..

10. McDrunken thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am probably going to be getting the MacBook sometime soon now. :cool:
    I'll get AppleCare sometime later on from a reliable eBay seller or someplace else.
    If anyone has anything to say about the screen that would be great but I think I probably am going to buy it once it becomes available in stock sometime this week.

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It usually becomes in stock in the morning and at night.