Need advice about Express card/34 drive options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Numfar, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Numfar macrumors newbie

I have a new 17 inch macbook pro due any day, and was wondering if there is a performance advantage to be gained using software like Photoshop by installing a drive into the expresscard slot and setting it up as a scratch disk?

If so, what is the best option (regarding reliability and speed)?

Is it better to go with the largest capacity drive, or is there a speed advantage with a smaller options (as with CF cards?)

Cost isn't a concern, as my company will be covering the expense, and I've got the greenlight to build the best machine available.

Thanks in advance,

B

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well, tbh - no.

i did look into it, and last time i checked (roughly 1 year ago) they were hittin 20MB/s average read/write.

i would go for external.

3. markp9114 macrumors member

OP i wanted to do the same also. Not sure if its going to make a difference. Jaro65 pointed me to this drive at newegg. Reads up to 115MB/s and Writes up to 65MB/s. He said it can get a little toasty though.

Any other reviews on expresscard SSDs?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm seems a bit buggy to me.

5. Numfar thread starter macrumors newbie

So if not a drive bay, what is the best use for that slot? I have an SD card reader which slides in nicely, but rarely need that after switching to Nikon cameras.

A firewire 800 dual port addition can sometimes be useful, but it sticks out terribly.

Is it likely to see a USB 3.0 port be able to be added there?

How about USB2.0?

Other options?

B

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe an esata port? to get the most performance out of the hard drives connected externally? ;)

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

USB 3.0 Expresscard hosts are already out the gate.

The problem is that they don't support OS X.

An e-sata host will be your best bet as far as usability.

You can get an SSD that'll be hooked into the PCI-E bus rather than the USB bus but that'll be at a premium.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think you have that the wrong way around ;)

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

<---confused

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol.

OSX doesnt support the USB3.0 drivers etc, not the fact that the USB3.0 drivers dont support OSX.

A->B, not B->A

11. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Apparently, this is not currently reliable -- poking around turns up various threads about problems with basically all known supported eSATA cards. In particular, the Sonnet one, which is otherwise pretty decent, doesn't work with the very common Oxford 931 chipset -- I don't have any eSATA devices using anything else, so I can't say whether it works with other things, although Sonnet says it does.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm interesting. i remember reading about it (there is a thread on here actually) - but i presumed SL fixed it. clearly not.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The there are two flavors of the Sonnet card out. The Professional strength model, for the price, shouldn't have any issues, but I don't have one :/

link