Need advice about installing Office Mac 2008 on my new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mrs HBF, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

A friend of mine gave me the Office Mac 2008 Home Edition. He had an extra license. Questions:

1. Does using this Microsoft Office software mean that my MBP could get viruses? I am now more susceptible to them?

2. I've already installed iWorks. Do I need to do any kind of preparation before I install the Office for Mac disk?

3. Anything specific I need to do during installation?

4. When I connect my jump drive with Word Docs to the MBP, will the files be populated into the Office for Mac application? Or do I have to do something for this to happen?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those extra licenses are for the same household, just so you know.
    No, because there ARE no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X.
    Mac Virus/Malware Info
    No.
    Follow the instructions.
    You need to open them when you need them. Files are not "populated into an application." You simply use the app to open them, usually by double-clicking a document you wish to open.

If you mean associating .doc files with the Word app, so when you double-click one, it uses Word, rather than Pages, to open it, that will automatically be accomplished during the Word installation process.

3. celticpride678

1. No
    2. No
    3. No, unless you want to customize what gets installed
    4. You have to make sure Word is the default word processing app

4. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that?

So when I bring them over using the jump drive, I can put them in folders I've already established? Can those folders hold both pages docs and word docs?

When I open a Word doc, will I be able to designate that I want to see it in Word?

Well, according to the Install Guide, there is no mention of it. If you look at the inside cover, it reads on the bottom "Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition is licensed for noncommercial use on up to three personal computers." That's it. As an aside, this friend is a family member.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's done during the install process. Word will make itself the default app for document types that it handles (such as .doc files)
    You can put files of any type in the same folder, whether documents, spreadsheets, pdf files, pictures, etc. There's no limitation as to what kinds of files you can store in folders. Usually Word and Pages open the same kind of docs, so you can have one as the default, but still be able to right-click on a file and choose "Open with" and select the other app.

6. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

yes to the folders question.

If the document is a word document it will automatically be opened by Word when you click on it. Just try it.....you'll understand.

7. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

8. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

Another Q:

I assume I'll need to get updates? How is this done and will my doing this subject my MBP to viruses? I guess I'm wondering if the updates are directly from Microsoft or from Apple. Thanks.

9. warrena macrumors member

warrena

MS Office has an Auto-updater - it will run automatically or you can manually run it from the menus in any of the Office apps. The updates come directly from Microsoft.

10. moel macrumors 6502

Mrs HBF, I have but one thing to say in a nice fashion

You will NEVER get a virus with your mac. They simply don't exist. You need not worry, and to be quite frank..there is very little reason to keep Office up to date, if it works it works...I've found negligable updates worth doing to it.

/I am aware i'm propogating the 'macs don't get viruses' myth which isn't 100% true, but there really is more chance of you winning the lottery AND getting struck by lightening in the same week.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Never say "never". There have been viruses in the past that affected older versions of Mac OS, but there haven't been any in the wild for several years, and none that affect Leopard or Snow Leopard. It's quite possible that Mac viruses could be written in the future, but none exist at the present time.

Updates come from Microsoft, who owns MS Office. As for the virus question, you'll benefit from reading the link I provided in my first post in this thread.