Need advice about iPhone4 (international user)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Punker, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Punker macrumors member

The company i work for (in canada) is buying an iPhone4 for everyone (yay!)

I am working remotely for them in Asia (Vietnam for the next couple of months).

I'm going to Canada for the summer and i'll pick up my iPhone that they will get with Rogers i guess. So i assume the phone will be locked. I want to use local providers in Asia when i come back (unlimited data 3G for ~20$/month!!)

I've been doing some research about the current status of the iPhone4 and most articles are dating from before it was released, so it's all speculations.

Now that it is released.. Is there a way to unlock the iPhone4 so i can use it in whatever country i'm in ? (i filled my 48 pages passport in 12 months... i travel A LOT) ?

I stumbled on this website which claim they can unlock the iPhone4. It looks a bit too good to be true to me, what do you guys think ?

http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/

The other option would be to ask my boss to get me a factory unlocked one. I was told we could buy them from the canadian apple store... Since im in asia right now...i cant see it. Is this true ? If yes, what is the pricing ? Is it totally unlocked and NOT linked to any carrier ?

Thanks a lot for helping me buying my first iPhone ever

P.S. They sell the international iPhone4 (as they call it) here for more than 1200USD now...so thats pretty much out of the question. They are not sold by apple, but by independent shops.

PPS. On my way back to Vietnam in a few months, i'll have 2 days in Korea... should i buy there ?

I know this thread is kinda long and has many questions... but im lost with all this locked/unlocked talk... Being locked to a provider would be a total deal breaker for me...

2. peterjcat macrumors 6502

You'll be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 4 direct from Apple in Canada when you're there. You'll have to pay full price for it (not yet announced, but on par with US$599/$699) but you'll be free to put any worldwide SIM in it. (You may have to cut a regular SIM down to MicroSIM size.)

Edit: the iPhone 4 will be available in Korea at the same time as Canada but it may be locked to a carrier there.