need advice about macbook/ipod/.mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by twoodcc, Aug 3, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so my girlfriend just got a white macbook(superdrive version). hasn't been opened yet. should we wait til tuesday before opening it? also, at the apple store, they had the same laptop with 2GB of RAM. i wanted her to get it, but she hesitated, so i told her she could upgrade the ram later. but after we left, i remembered that it has 2 x 512, so we'd have to buy 2 x 1GB to upgrade. should we just exchange it for the 2GB macbook?

so i got a black 8GB nano. haven't opened it yet. should i wait til tuesday to open it?

same question for .mac

2. neven macrumors 6502a

1. It's very unlikely that MacBooks will be updated on Tuesday, so Tuesday's event is no reason to return it.

2. Buying 2 x 1 GB of RAM from another vendor (crucial.com or dealram.com) will still be much cheaper than going from 1 GB to 2 GB through Apple. It's also very easy to install.

3. Nanos may be updated on Tuesday.

4. .Mac may be updated on Tuesday, but since it's a subscription service, you won't lose anything by activating it now - if it's upgraded, you'll get upgraded with it. I really doubt that they'll drop the price on Tuesday.

By the way, what's with people buying things and then not opening them? Do research before you buy, and when you buy, open and enjoy your new toy. You'll always have a bitter consumer experience if you shuffle your feet after your purchase.

3. masterfu macrumors member

masterfu

Yep, I just put the 2x1GB kit in my MBP from Crucial. It's super easy and it was only like $100. I'd keep the MacBook and consider leaving the Nano boxed up until Tuesday just in case.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the replies. the reason we went ahead and bought yesterday was b/c it was tax-free. tuesday it won't be tax-free anymore. so there you go.

i mainly agree with you. (just wanted to hear it from someone else)

but with the rebates (free ipod, printer), if you open one item, then i think it messes up the chance of taking back something else. (in other words, if i open the macbook, i can't return/exchange the ipod and still get the rebate)

are you sure the 2x 1GB is $100 total? and not for each stick?

5. masterfu macrumors member

masterfu

Yeah, according to my receipt it was $110.98 after shipping. That's two 1GB sticks. The difference between 1GB and 2GB is oh so sweet...

Edit: I forgot to mention, that's from Crucial.com.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

2 x 1 GB for $107 at Crucial.com

I'm not absolutely sure that's the type you want, but the price should be around that.

Now stop overthinking it and go enjoy your awesome new computer! :)

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks guys for the link. i guess it was better to get the 1GB version from apple (even though sometimes you get bad ram when you buy 3rd party)

sorry, i overthink everything. but i'm pretty sure if i open it now, and a new ipod comes out, i cant exchange it and still get it for free (even though the free ipod promotion probably won't apply for the new ones if they come out)