Need advice about rMBP (concerned about retention problems)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TOiam, Sep 28, 2012.

1. TOiam macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm planning for a while already to switch from an old HP laptop to a macbook pro. The retina version looks really nice. But I'm concerned now I read all the stories about image retention.. I checked it myself at the local apple store today and was able to see it myself after 2 minutes on their instore laptop. I know not every laptop will have this problem (most people who are happy with the rMBP are not on this forum), but I'm still worried. Is it just an 'annoying problem' or can the retention/ghosting become much worse over time making the laptop pretty much unusable? I'm planning to use it hopefully for 4-5 years.. What should I do, buy for instance a cMBP 15' with no SSD either:(, or just go for the rMBP.

Your comments are appreciated:)

2. RussellJones macrumors member

How far away from your local apple shop are you? If it not far or you don't mind you can return them until you have one that you are happy with. Most retention, but not all, come from LG screens but most new stock aren't experiencing as many problems, so depends if your local shop sold many.

3. ~robbert macrumors newbie

My advise: don't buy a laptop you can't upgrade if you are planning to use it for 5 years straight. I currently own a rmbp (almost maxed out), but i plan to keep it for 1 or 2 years.

4. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

This Retina Macbook Pro with Retina I am typing on right now was my very first Mac and from Day 1 I have been 100% SATISFIED!!

5. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Do not be scared by all the complaints since most people only come on this forum to do so. Buy one, if you're not happy, return it.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That may be great for you, but there's many people that can get more use than that out of a computer. We have a 2008 MBP that is still going strong, and we just recently upgraded it to an SSD. If you purchase a rMBP with enough memory and storage, it should easily be able to last someone way past 1 or 2 years.

7. ~robbert macrumors newbie

Exactly what i ment, in both ways. ;-)

8. zainiak macrumors regular

apple told me that all rmbp's have retention, including the display models. I dont really have a problem with it.

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

According to the latest Apple forum page regarding IR, it seems that from now on (40th week) that the production line of rMBPs will ONLY use Samsung panels. There is still some ambiguity though, since we will need to wait out until this following week to hear the results of what many of us, including me, will receive. In addition, to reinforce the notion that rMBPs are only using Samsung displays, note the shipping dates has increased to 3-5 days for custom orders and recent repairs are only using 1 part number, which is the Samsung screen. I can also confirm this is true because I also had a repair completed last week and received a Samsung display, although I requested a refund after being denied a 3rd repair for minor backlight bleeding.