Need advice: Backpack for my Macbook 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ruenzuo, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Ruenzuo macrumors newbie

I own a 13" Macbook (Early 2009 model), loving it! But I need a backpack for the college with the regular space for a 13" Macbook and some space for my notebook, maybe a regular book too. I was looking for the Alienware Orion Backpack, which I really find cool, but I think it's gonna be too big. Any suggestions? I need a REALLY good quality backpack plz.

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I really love my Timbuk2 Hacker bag. It is a backpack that can also be converted into a messenger bag. It is big enough to hold a 15" MacBook Pro and a couple of textbooks/notebooks.

3. Vonswanko macrumors regular

I use the Timbuk2 commute pack.(the back pack not messenger) And love it. Very comfortable, and roomy. Fits the MacBook very well. Very well padded.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

5. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

6. mac88 macrumors 6502

I've never seen those before. They look kind of cool. How do you like it?

7. budkid macrumors regular

8. Zafeer macrumors newbie

When you get one, make sure it is good! I had my 13" macbook unibody in mine and I guess I put it down a little too fast and It put a horrible dent in the side of my macbook. After inspecting the backpack that i had, I noticed that it didn't have any padding on the bottom to prevent things like that from happening.

9. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I got the Speck Aftpack as a gift last winter, and it's by far my favorite bag ever.

There are 2 ways to get to your notebook from the backpack, and the padding is thick and fleece-lined. There's definite separation, and little pockets to tuck away extra handles, and that front strap that goes around your abdomen, so it's out of the way.

Not to mention it stands up on its own, looks great, comes in 2 designs, it's really well built (it feels as sturdy as my old targus backpack, which gave me 6 years of faithful service and is still going strong minus 2 small holes), and it has a LOT of room for extras like textbooks.

The only downsides I see are that it is a pricey bag ($100USD [sometimes though, it's really worth the money, as you don't have to keep buying cheaper bags over time]), my 13'' UMB with a speck case fits good, but it's not really snug because it's made to accommodate up to a 17'' (I'm sure if you use something like a sleeve or whatever anyways, it's not an issue. I don't see a huge issue as it still feels safe to me), and it's a large product. Backpacks can be large though, and you can really get away with it. It's very stylish anyways, and I absolutely adore it for the sole fact I can fit my charger, 3 textbooks, 3 notebooks, pens, pencils, my TI-89 calculator, my organizer, spare packets of coffee, a water bottle, a notebook in its case, my MP3 player, cell phone, and digital camera in there without a problem.

Something I did that could be really useful is if you don't use the abdomen straps (I know they're great for reducing back pain, but I can't stand them), cut them off, and you have 2 great little pockets for things like your cell phone or gum. There are no side pockets so these become handy.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/aftpack-backpack/notebooks-up-to-17/170

10. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I have the same thing, it is a great backpack. Worth the price tag to protect your $1000 investment. I put my macbook, xbox 360 with all the cables, macbook charger, and much more. If you have a 360 you know how bulky it is especially with the power brick.

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I'm looking at backpacks too, but I would like one that doesn't scream "I got a $1,000 computer". So far I'm out of luck...

12. Apple all life macrumors 6502

If you want that than get an incase sleeve with a jansport backpack

13. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

incase sleeve, my jansport backpack. fits all my college books and macbook

done

14. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I have this one http://www.gravisfootwear.com/#/products/bags/mens/metro/ similar, 3 year old model. Don't get turned off by the first colour that appears on the site, there are others.

Mind you it might be too big for you but it's not bulky (you might also want to rethink what you'll be bringing with you to class, I'm no where near having just a book and my MB). It's very light but very tuff. The laptop is hold vertically between the back pading and another pad protecting it from the main pocket where your books would be. Best part is that your MB sits on a neoprene sling 20cm higher than the bottom of the pack so it doesn't hit the ground when you put it down and it absorbs shocks.

15. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

OGIO - Epic

I highly recommend this model, but any OGIO is made pretty damn well-made. I personally like the epic because of the laptop pocket, and all the other useful pockets & dividers the backpack has. It's very functional, and has numerous amount of pockets with it still being extremely lightweight.

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=509&nav=0

really...any Ogio is a good purchase, and a lot of them have a place to put your Mac... :cool:

...plus, they have a lifetime guarantee :)

CrackBookPro:cool:

16. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

Can anyone recommend a not so pricey bag with the capabilities of snugging my 13" macbook and have spaces for an SLR camera?

Thanks

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    North Face do a well priced laptop backpack called Big Shot. Lots of room for an SLR and other goodies too.