Need advice - burning dual-side dvd on mac book pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinisa, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sinisa macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new in mac world, got my mac book pro recently, and now i'm trying to burn >6gb files to dual-side dvd. I got dvd's, and are obvious dual-side (cannot make mistake there ;-)), but cannot make Toast to recognize them as dual side and reports that there is not enough space to store the files. I've tried to set DVD DL from the drop-down menu, ejected dvd, put it back in, and when trying to burn it, same thing happens.

Recorder that is in this mac book pro is some Hl-dt-st DVDRW GSA-S10N. I'm not sure if this type of dvd burner can actually burn dual-side, although there is DVD DL (dual) option in Toast..

Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yeah. You're trying to use a dual-sided DVD to burn in dual-layer settings. :D

I'm just being a smartass, but if there really are dual-sided writable DVDs, that is your problem. If you do mean DVD-DL discs, I'm not sure. I've had no trouble using just iDVD to burn stuff on DL discs, but I don't have Toast -- just bread (again with the smartass!). Hopefully a Toast user will know more about this.

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

I have toast 5, and don't have this issue. I would expect that if iDVD can do it, Toast can do it better. And if iDVD can't do it, Toast can do it much better.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you using the A side first? I think dual side DVDs have a A and B side.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well this thread here on MacRumors confirms that your LG brand drive is specified to work with DL (double layer or dual layer) disks, so if it not able to correctly recognize true DL media, you should seek warranty replacement of the drive I guess since you mentioned your MBP is recent.

While all drives will burn some brands/types of disks better than others, the failure of your drive to even recognize that it has a DL disk at all is what brings me to say this.

Assuming...

... the fact that what you actually have are double-layer disks rather than true dual-sided disks, which after a little searching I could only find manufactured by Ritek and are a whole 'nother creature from DL disks that are common. A dual sided disk is, for all intents and purposes, just a disk with a writeable single layer disk on each side, allowing for 9.4Gb of write space (2 sides x standard SL capacity of 4.7Gb) rather than the 8.5Gb offered on the one writeable side of a double layer disk. Info about dual sided disks can be see at this article on [url='http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/14157/double-sided-dvd/"]Let'sGoDigital[/url]. What is interesting is that a dual-sided disk (on either side) would be recognized, by Toast or the Finder or whatever app you burn with, as being a standard single layer disk so I have to wonder if somehow you did not wind up with some somehow....:confused: