[Need Advice] Buy rMBP ASAP or be Patient and wait..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlleaRizary, Jan 11, 2015.

  1. AlleaRizary macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2015
    Hi Guys,

    as intel announced the skylake, I am questioning myself -who want to buy rMBP asap- on whether I need to wait the rMBP with skylake or just purchase the rMBP asap.

    The purpose of using mac is that I want to be in unix-like / unix environment but with a great taste and performance. That's when I choose macbook pro. I would like to buy along with the upgrade parts of macs, but here in Indonesia, we cannot order online.. so I guess I will pick the standard version of rMBP (which will be the i7 core). Again, the question is, should I wait until the rMBP use skylake? I can wait actually, the "asap" means that I just want to buy rMBP within this year so i can start coding... hehe

    thanks in advance...
  2. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003
    Need now, buy now.

    Wait for Skylake? Are you kidding? Broadwell isn't even out.

    And if you have gotten along so far without one, you obviously do not need Skylake or even Broadwell . . .
  3. AlleaRizary thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2015
    Well thank you for the advice..

    The reason I think its best to wait for skylake is because intel said that it will be out soon and shipped around q3/q4 2015... in the meantime, I will buy my rMBP around may 2015, so I think it will be worthed if I wait for a longer time so I can buy rMBP with skylake in it.

    just my opinion..
  4. theluggage macrumors 68040

    Jul 29, 2011
    By the time Skylake comes out, the buzz for the next generation of Intel chips will have started. Its also completely impossible to guess when the new chips will show up in Apple machines, whether they're going to skip Broadwell and wait for Skylake, whether they're going to release Broadwell Macs this summer and wait until next summer for Skylake or whether they'll surprise everybody with earlier-than-expected skylake. Sometimes, in the past, Apple have got exclusive early access to the latest Intel chips, sometime they've been excruciatingly late in upgrading.

    If you're happy to wait until "around May" then you might as well wait until after WWDC in June to see if there are any big announcements, but there's no guarantee (and rumours of WWDC announcements are often premature).

    Basic rule, though: Buy a computer when you need a new computer and have the money. If you don't need a new computer and/or don't have the money wait until you do, because hardware specs usually increase faster than prices. Whenever you buy, there <i>will</i> be something better coming out in a few months.
  5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Jan 27, 2007
    Broadwell was just released and computers are coming out with it now. Apple will likely release new macs with it anytime from March to WWDC. With the iWatch coming in March, probably WWDC is more likely. So I'd definitely wait for that if you can, but you aren't realistically going to see a mac with Skylake until at least March 2016.
  6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030


    May 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you can identify one thing that you want from Skylake, there's no point in waiting. If you're going to wait at all, wait for Broadwell Macs to come out. Otherwise, Intel typically has four-five generations of Intel CPU plotted out and that includes Skylake's successor, Cannonlake, which is to say, if you're always waiting for the next thing, you'll be waiting forever.

    THAT being said, MacBook Pros are on a strict 8-10 month release cycle (historically, they've kept to this since the very first MacBook Pros in 2006; they usually keep to this cycle whether there are processor enhancements or not). The last update was in July. So that'd peg the next refresh to be between March and May.

Share This Page