Need advice : Buy the Macbook pro late 2014 or a custom build PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Curialover, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Curialover macrumors newbie

So im debating on waiting for new Macbook pro or Build a new PC

i want it for mostly want it to play GTa 5 and watch dogs only. Im not a hardcore gamer and dont want to be !

so plz suggest me if i should wait for new macbooks pro in late 2014 or buold a new Pc

i dont wana to get the current macbook pros as the new ones are around the corner

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not quite around the corner - we're looking at a late 2014 or early 2015 MBP release based on the broadwell release date.

rMBPs are not gaming machines, and even though you state you're not a gamer, you are looking to get a machine to play those games.

What other tasks are you looking to do with the computer, and do you have mobility needs?

Also what about OS X vs. Windows, you need to consider which OS you'll be running in and whether you want that OS and/or need to buy apps for it as well.

3. Curialover thread starter macrumors newbie

yup i only wanna play GTA 5 and watch dogs game thats it !! and will be using the laptop for other small purposses like movies and browsing etcs and i can buy apps easily from apple i also have an iphone and ipad ...

and i will run both Os windows and mac

as i have never tried or run Mac os before mostly will be using Windows as all softwares i use are in windows ...

4. fatalle macrumors newbie

5. unknownfps macrumors member

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

new model is not around the corner...broadwell was delayed

Those games work on xbox 360 right? 15" mbp is far more powerful than that. Should run decently at average settings. GTA4 was apparently terrible optimized for PC, though, so who knows.

7. blooperz macrumors 6502

Next refresh for the rMBP will probably only be a (very) minor clock speed increase, as has been stated in countless threads. If you need it now just buy it its not worth holding your breathe for something that small. Although if I'm not mistaken you want this machine mainly so you can play those games? You would be much better off building a pc if you want it for gaming, or just getting a console. That way save yourself considerable money and get much better performance IMO.

8. ND40oz macrumors newbie

Steam streaming works pretty well if you already have a decent gaming box. I've been using it to play Civ 5 at full resolution (1680x1050) with all the eye candy rather then run it natively on my rMBP at lower res.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Either will do that just fine. Build a PC and spend the money you save on beer and Nutella.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're mainly using it for gaming purposes, just build the PC. The GPU in most mobile computers is pretty disappointing compared to the options available in a desktop.

11. Curialover thread starter macrumors newbie

not mainly for gaming as i said ill only run these two games nothing else !

can the current macbook prob13" run watch dogs without any issues on max settings ?

i already have a old HP PC Core 2 Duo (no graphics) 2GB ram

so it covers all the tasks except gaming .....

so it thought a MacBook pro would be better for mild gaming and other stuff

12. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

I would get the PC if you want to game. I already have a decent PC for gaming.

The Macbook should not be for gaming, although it can and I WILL be doing some on it.

13. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'd probably build a PC. I do play World of Warcraft on my 15" rMBP and it runs just fine, but that Hearthstone and Diablo are the only games I play and none of them are too graphically intensive.

I also have a gaming PC for other Steam games.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are no meaningful updates around the corner. You may see a minor bump in the current specs, but there is currently no new processor generation. It would be something like +.1 ghz on the cpu and some other trivial changes. It doesn't matter what the buyer's guide states, as it only predicts based on average time between hardware refreshes.

15. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Honestly dude just get a PS4 or xbox one.

----------

There's no mac version of watch dogs. Unless you plan to purchase windows and boot camp it. But then you might as well get a PC. If you're just going to play watchdogs or GTA5 then get a gaming console.

Then get a macbook air for your other stuff. You'll save a ton of money.

If you haven't heard GTA5 is coming to the new consoles pretty soon.

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

A custom built PC is a desktop that can run Windows, Linux, semi-stable hacked OSX, or FreeBSD that you cannot move around.

A Retina Macbook Pro is a prebuilt Apple computer that can run OSX well, Windows & Linux well to ok, that you can move around.

These are apples and oranges. What to recommend has everything to do with your personal preference, and what is important to you. It has nothing to do with our opinions.

Do you want a powerful, cheaper solution you build yourself that you cannot move around, or a weaker pre-build solution that you can move around?

17. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Absolutely not! It has integrated graphics. Even people with 780's can't run properly on ultra.

Expect ~ 30fps on low @ 1440x900

18. Curialover thread starter macrumors newbie

well apple hasnt realeased a upgrade to macbook pro this year

Dont u think they will be forced to upgrade new macbook pro with broadwell chips?in sep/oct

i want manily to play this game only gta 5 thats my main motto to get a bew macbook pro or replace my old HP pc and build a new one myself

im fine if future games wont run on my macbook pro

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No they haven't released one, and depending on when Broadwell is released will dictate when apple releases their MBP. I think expecting to see new MBPs in September is a bit optimistic, I'm thinking late 2014 if not 2015 at this point.

20. taelan28 macrumors regular

Get the PC. Integrated graphics may barely be able to pull it. You want Watch Dogs and GTA now but 2 years from now you may want something else.

21. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Well, the MBP will be updated again soon (probably a minor clock speed update) and then later this year (with Broadwell) but the 13" rMBP's will still only have integrated graphics.

While I don't have Watch Dogs, I have heard that the Watch Dogs PC port is terribly optimised and will not run properly on even the most high end PC's. From what I have seen online, you should get 25-30fps on low-medium and ~35fps on the lowest settings. If that is enough for you, then go for it. Otherwise build the PC and if you want install Mac and Windows.

22. macjunk(ie), Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

stay away

for the sake of reliability .... stay away from the MBP.

Good piece of eye candy that will last less than three years....And AppleCare can only help till three years. After that, shell out 3 grand for a new laptop or get your old one repaired for 700 and get a 90 day warranty...only for the replaced part to fail in the 4th month!

This is from a guy who loves OSX and Apple laptops in general...but has been burned thrice by Apple.