Need advice....buy touch now or wait till June WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 12, 2008.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

I just sold my PDA and I wish I (or someone) had more of a definite answer as to what will be coming out in June at the WWDC. Im looking to replace my old pda and after debating back and forth as to what to do with the smart phone/touch dilemma I have decided to just go with the touch but what WILL most likely happen in June...

Will it just be a software/firmware upgrade along with a bigger version of the same thing or will it possibly be a new design along with the iphone? if so then maybe June would be fine but if im getting the 16 gig then I don't need to care about a new version....

but im apprehensive because I was just at bestbuy and was looking at atit again and was thinking I wish someone would know more about June because what if something else comes out that makes me say "I wish I didn't buy it when I did"

If it was just going to be software etc and the form stays the same then great..but it seems like noone can guarantee that Apple wont come out with a new ipod "touch pda" or something like that...

any thoughts?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Buy Now.

Apple's WWDC is 'developer' focused. This makes it HIGHLY unlikely a new consumer-focused product will be announced and available on the day of the conference (June 9th). If anything, WWDC will feature an 'announcement', and an announcement only, of a new model of iPhone - due for release late June, most definitely a demo of version 2.0 of the iPhone/iPod touch software and the App Store, and possibly a preview of Mac OSX 10.6 due for release the second quarter of 2009.

Apple's Macworld is the consumer based conference where new products are announced and/or refreshed. WWDC focuses on product development and software announcements. There is no doubt WWDC will be iPhone-focused this year, with the release of version 2.0 imminent, but I doubt Apple is planning a worldwide product launch at a development-focused event.

As you say, no-one can guarantee, but usually Macworld is consumer-focused (new products) and WWDC is development and software focused.

Lets just say, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new product from Apple, just yet ...

R-Fly

3. bibikaa macrumors newbie

...Price?

Yeah, but what about the price, there might be a a price drop and that's a good reason to wait, right?

4. intempo808 macrumors regular

He's right, iPod's are always released in September. There probably wont be any announcements about the iPod touch, just a demo of 2.0. I dont know why people think the WWDC will be the launch of a new iPod, it hasnt been before...

5. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you...thats what i neded to know...I figure ill go get the 16gig.. even if a price drop does happen..I just sold my pda...so it would be worht it now... (for me) thanks

6. poikkeus macrumors newbie

Will it happen?

The experts feel the new Touch will come around January. The release is typically early January - the time of the MacWorld show. However....

In this case, we're starting to see some smaller retailers sell the 32 gig for between $390 and $460 (if you look hard). And you'll notice that the Refurb portion of the Apple website has unaccountably pulled the 32 gig off.

A new 64 gig iPod? Who's to know? But it's halfway through the 32 gig product cycle, and vacation is coming. I don't know if we'll get the full 64 gigs, but a modest increase and a price reduction on current stock seems like it could just happen. I'm waiting a bit longer.

It's only coincidental that WWDC is close.

7. OffBrand macrumors member

A potential price drop interests me more than anything. I've played around with my brother's iPhone, and I'm in love with the interface :p Despite that, I can't justify paying $500 for just 32 gigs.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It is going to be a $20 upgrade to get the new iPod touch software that will be released at the WWDC. Not a big deal for most people, but something to take into account, if you can wait a few weeks.

9. dmkemick macrumors member

I made a similar topic about a month ago, I came to the conclusion that since I didn't need it at the time (and still don't) I could wait if only to save ~$20 on the software upgrade.

That being said I am sort of expecting a price reconfiguration of some sort. Either the players now will see a ~$50 price cut or a new higher-capacity iPod Touch will be introduced and the 8GB model will be dropped, leaving the 16GB at the 8GB's price point (and so on). That's mostly just wishful thinking though. ;)

10. krusej23 macrumors newbie

So is it a pretty sure thing that they are going to demo 2.0 software for the touch? Does that also mean that it will be released that day for download and applications will be ready for download?

11. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I believe they will showcase the final features of the 2.0 firmware at WWDC, adding a few last minute surprises to the mix, but the actual release of the software will be scheduled for two weeks after WWDC, possibly Tuesday 24th June, or even Friday 27th June. On one of these dates I believe Apple will stage a small press event at Cupertino which will celebrate the opening of the iTunes Application Store, and with it, all the 3rd party application juice & the public availability of 2.0! - Lets just hope WWDC doesn't fair as a excuse for Apple to announce 2.0 is delayed.

R-Fly