Need advice: Buying insurance for my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mrs HBF, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

I want to buy insurance for my MacBook Pro. It was suggested to me that I not add my MBP to my renter's policy but instead buy a separate policy because if I have to file a claim, doing so will obviously increase the entire renter's policy. I'd rather keep the computer therefore separate.

Which insurance companies have separate policies? Who do you recommend that is good and priced competitively? Thanks.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

I would say that renter's coverage is your best option

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

State Farm charged me 25 bux a year to insure my macbook. I will go with them again once my Amex coverage for theft and damaeg runs out (just three months). They have a seperate policy and there is no deductable. Don't know if they'll let you get a policy just for your laptop though if you have no other insurance with them.

4. maclub10 macrumors newbie

What is typically covered by these kinds of policies?

5. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

I have Chubb insurance and my rep said that they don't have a separate policy. I find that a bit disconcerting. There have got to be other options. I googled laptop insurance but came up with companies to which I'm not familiar.

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got my MBP covered under a Personal Articles policy through State Farm. Something like $30 a year! with NO DEDUCTIBLE. It covers theft, damage, whatever - even theft overseas! I do have other policies with State farm - renters, and car.

BUT this is the way to go - gives me a lot of peace of mind for a cheap price.

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Theft, damage, loss. Pretty much everything except being an extended warranty.

Gah, you will never get me to get Chubbs insurance. Never had them but had the displeasure of having some one who had them rear end my car like years and years ago. Came up with interesting reasons to try to short change me on the worth of the car. I know they are an insurance company and it is in their best interest to not pay as much as possible, but they came up with some ******* reasonings on how to pay us 1/3 what the car was worth and total it for that (would have been better off selling the car with the damage than take any money from them and have them put totalled on the title).

8. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

not meaning to thread jack.. but ive looked for the equivalent of the 'personal articles' that state farm has in all state.. its under my parents and they dont know,.. does anyone know if all state has a program like this..?
    thank you and again sorry for the threadjack.
    babyt

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

just get it through statefarm if possible. Not trying to evade your question, but statefarm will take over you on whether your have other products with them or not, atleast in my case. I ditched my policy after it expired (and my agent harassed me making absolute certain I wanted to let it expire) and I went with my auto insurer, but they want a sizable deductible that's attatched to my renters insurance with no way around it, so all state may require a similar plan. statefarm is pretty much the favored option (besides ones like safeware and stuff).

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Not sure where you are, but I am with protecsure for my iPhones and MBP, they are undersigned by Chubb, and have good rates / policies.

If you are in Australia, they are probably the best.

11. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

Protecsure won't insure it. Do other laptop insurance companies insure a computer whose value is $1500? Is there a deductible?