Need Advice: Buying MCP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Freemaj, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Freemaj macrumors newbie

I plan on purchasing a Macbook Pro 13" and I am wanting it pretty fast. Would it be a wise decision for me to just save up for it, or should I ask for a student loan on it, since I will be using it for my college major? Also I just turned 18 and have no credit right now, do you know of a bank that would give a student loan to a person with no credit history..?

thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What are your computing habits? If you just surf in the web and MSN, base 13" MBP is more than enough for you.

3. Freemaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Photography and video production are my majors so I will be doing that.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think base MBP will still be fine, just upgrade RAM and HD yourself. You don't notice big difference if you buy better one

5. Freemaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright well do you believe I should just save up for one or apply for a student loan for one?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much you have right now and how long it would take you to save up? Banks are quite tight with loans right now because of depression so it can be hard to get a loan. Try to loan from your parents or other family member, it's always better than bank

7. Freemaj thread starter macrumors newbie

I have about 400 right now and I have a good paying job so it would probably take me till august..
    that's about it.
    also do you guys have any experience with the best buys 18 months intrest free thing they got going on?

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Better to save up for it than to risk a loan and high interest rates. If you've got $400, that's a great start. Work hard this summer, pay yourself first (put away some $ for the computer before you splurge on beer and parties), and you'll be in great shape when it comes time to purchase before school.

That being said, at 18 and about to enter college, it's a good time to start building some kind of credit history. A loan might not be worth it, but a low-limit credit card (even $500) could get you started on that path. Don't use it to buy stuff you can't pay off right away, and your golden.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's true. Most youths ruin their credit history when they get their first credit card and recognizes how easy it is to buy things. Depression started because people lived too much in credit. They bought things that they absolutely can't afford.

Just work hard few months and buy MBP when you have the money as a present of your hard work

10. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I would definitely not go through best buy. the first thing being you wouldnt get the education discount because you are a student, which is anywhere from 100-200 off depending on which model you get. And another reason being the promotion apple has going on where you get a free ipod touch with the purchase of a mac. that beats the no interest program at best buy because if you dont need the ipod you could just sell it which would knock another 200 bucks off the price of the laptop

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Most youths (at least in US and Canada) don't and won't have a credit history until they get their first credit card, or else some kind of loan (such as one for higher education).

I completely agree that the foolishness of credit abuse is what led (at least in part) to the economic turmoil we're seeing. In this case, I'm just suggesting that since the OP has no credit history at all, s/he might qualify for a credit card before entering college. By being responsible with it, it's a good opportunity to build and keep a good score.

OP, keep saving, and keep working. The fact that you've already saved the $400 already shows that you're responsible enough to set a goal and work toward it. Be proud of yourself.

12. ordo1980 macrumors member

I posted this message on another thread. More or less it's relevant as it concerns Best Buy and the 18 month thing. FYI ... I think you may be wrong, I don't think BB is doing this anymore... but will again soon. But just read this thing, it's so long I didn't bother to edit it. But a poster above is wrong, some BBs will deal on the apple promo, you just have to talk to people who know what they're talking about. And that's not the first person who picks up the phone at BB. Just read the following though...

This is an issue I've been wrestling with myself. Today, coincidentally, I called a few different bestbuys just to get a broad survey of opinions. The answers I got were varied. Some said no deal at all to be made. One store said, "yeah man, I'll match any deal, you can have a free ipod, no problem." Another one had a more complex deal... it was basically I get the student price on the mbp, so 1099 (for the one I want), and any ipod. Then they would knock off $75 for each the ipod and the computer. Then, they would issue me a gift card for $150. So say I want ipod nano 16 (which I do), my math would work this way... 1100 (computer) + 200 (ipod) - 75 - 75 = 1150 + tax I'd have to pay. Then, I would get a best buy giftcard for $150. This, for me, is actually better than the apple deal. Granted, I only am getting $150 refunded in total for that ipod, but it's instantly refunded. Added to that, I'm getting a giftcard for $150. I bought a hella sweet canon multifunction on clearance for $50 at best buy about a month ago (apple sells the same model for $150) btw, so no need for a free printer from apple. This is just as well for me because I'll be a law student this fall and I HAVE to buy a bunch of crap as it is. Ink... sleeve... wireless mouse... paper... microSD/SD cards... and on and on. So whereas with Apple my total discounts would be just the normal $100 off + 200 back for ipod, with best buy my total discounts are the normal $100 off + 150 instant rebate + 150 giftcard (which again is awesome since I need way more stuff anyways, and had i gone through apple I just would have used that 200 for the same stuff). So with apple my total rebates are 300, and with bb my total rebates are 400.

Moral of the story I guess is to go see them in person, or else call. If you call, do NOT speak to the rep who answers. That person won't know jack about anything. What's worse is if you ask them to transfer you to someone in computers, they won't do that, and they instead will just ask you for the question and then they will try to answer you. Don't bother with this, it results in terrible customer service. You'll end up asking something, they'll go find out, answer you, or worse blow you off. So don't do that... After calling the first two stores I learned to do the following... simply ask to be transferred to the mobile phone kiosk (the standard rep who will answer as a general rule at least knows nothing about the phones), ask the mobile phone guy a lame question (I asked the cost of the blackberry curve with verizon on a 2-year upgrade)... get your answer and politely ask the associate to transfer you to someone in computers. That's the way I was successful in getting to speak to knowledgeable people in regards to this issue. Worked every time. So if a best buy is not nearby, just try that out and you should get some answers. The moral of the story, though, is that most best buys are aware of the apple promotion, most of them will have some sort of policy in place to compete with apple, most will admit that they've received many phone calls about the issue, so if you speak to someone in computers, they should be able to communicate the policy quite easily. Good luck.

PS: In case some of you were wondering, best buy was doing an 18-month 0 financing promo, they no longer offer that. Apple is doing a 12-month 0 promo. However, I also asked best buy about that special, and most admitted to not knowing why it was taken off, but it is widely believed at least amongst the associates there that the special will come back soon, especially for the back to school crowd. One associate went so far as to say it was stupid to have taken it off. Another associate wasn't even aware it had been taken off, but he expressed surprise and said he would expect that special to return soon. And another associate said the return of that special was imminent. So if one of you guys are interested that, there is your answer. School won't start until August. And these specials just will get more special, so no need to panic. I've been quietly waiting for a long time now. I wanted to buy a month before wwdc, but i figured updates would be made then. I've wanted to buy since wwdc, but i figured specials would just get better, so no need to jump ship on a big purchase that i don't technically need for another 2 months. Apple's 12-month 0 special is going nowhere. And if best buy gets back the 18-month deal, then I'll be jumping on that. At the worst, however, I'll get 12 months. Warning to any who do this... if you go that route, MAKE SURE you pay it off within the time period allotted for the 0 interest special. I've never personally had problems with those types of specials, but i'm young and single so im fairly drama free with money, so paying out an extra 100/month on something isn't a big deal. And it's more convenient for me, personally, than shelling out $1300 at once, especially when I have a lot more stuff I need to buy for school. Just don't want everyone going out spending more than they can afford. At bottom it's debt, but if played right, it's same as cash, and will do nothing but boost your credit score even higher! Just be responsible!!!