Need advice. Buying the new Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Makindosh, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Makindosh macrumors member

I have 2 questions, please share with your advice and suggestions.

1. Will the Macbook pro with 2.93Ghz get hotter, I mean temperature :) than the one with 2.66Ghz?

2. I love playing America's Army 2.8, that's the only game I play once (1-2hrs) per week. Go with the 2.66 or 2.93?

I'd get desktop but I travel a lot.

Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

playing in boot camp or on a virtual machine there, sarge?

3. Makindosh thread starter macrumors member

4. Makindosh thread starter macrumors member

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I don't think you're going to see much of a difference in temp... maybe a couple of degrees, but nothing too noticeable.

the current base MBP can more than handle America's Army. again, there may be a difference in framerate, but it will be slight. is a slight performance boost worth the money? only you can answer that.

6. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

The speed difference between the 2 (2.66 vs 2.93) is not really much. 330MHz doesn't really spell the difference.

Let's take a look at what REALLY matters in terms of gaming:

Video Card: Both the 2.66 and 2.93 have the new Discrete NVIDIA with 512MB DDR3. It should be great for gaming.

RAM: Both have 4GB of DDR3. Also perfect for gaming.

Remember that games are GPU and RAM intensive and not CPU. The CPU's job will only be to calculate the game in terms of how interactive it is, and what the results of certain decisions or commands you throw at it.

The GPU is what makes those commands and inputs visible. It's the GPU that will actually render the game on your screen.

In short, behind the scenes stuff (running, walking, movement, selection of artillery, ANDs ORs IFs THENs ELSEs) are processed by the CPU. Even a 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo should be able to accomplish all of those threads without a sweat. The GPU is what puts all of those calculations into a VISIBLE result by calculating shadows, triangles, depth, perception, fluidity, etc. That takes a whole other level of processing. The 512MB present in both models should more than suffice, plus the processing speed of the GPU itself.

If you have the extra cash to shell out for the 2.93, then you should go for it. If you do have that money BUT would rather spend US$500 on something else, go for the 2.66. You'll be fine either which way. =)

7. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

You will NOT notice a difference between the two CPU options when it comes to America's Army. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

8. Makindosh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, guys!

I am sorry I was a little impatient. Thank you for your suggestions! :)