Need Advice choosing between rMBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kostas44, May 19, 2015.

1. Kostas44 macrumors newbie

The 2 choices I have are:

#1: The 13" rMBP 1,999$
    2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    Force Touch trackpad

#2: The 15" rMBP 1,999$
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    Force Touch trackpad

Which of the two is a wiser choice? Keep in mind that I want this computer to be as (for lack of a better term) "future-proof" as possible.

2. PaulWog Suspended

You really can't "future-proof" yourself. You can buy for what you need for now and in the foreseeable future, but anything past that, who knows how tech will go. I have an iPad 3, and Apple managed to slow it down massively, and add major keyboard issues, just due to their iOS 7 update (and iOS 8 never fixed the damage iOS 7 did). So, really, buy for what you need now.

With that said: Either you need a 256GB SSD, or a 512GB SSD. If you need a 512GB SSD, then the choice is easy. I don't think anyone needs a 512GB SSD, since if you need that much storage, you'll likely already have an external storage drive (ie. if you're doing massive amounts of photo editing, or video editing).

Also, 16GB of RAM just isn't necessary.

Remember this: The guy who spends $1000 once every 5 years is likely better off than the guy who spends $2000 and hopes for his tech to last for 10. Getting 16GB of RAM over 8GB of RAM applies to that analogy: Get the RAM you need for now and the foreseeable future. 8GB should be the right amount. Save that extra money for down the line when you make a new purchase (say, 5 years from now).

The choice should come down to which screen size you want. Either will perform extremely similarly.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As noted in your previous thread, you don't need 16GB of RAM.

Which screen size do you like better? Is portability a factor?

4. Kostas44 thread starter macrumors newbie

@T5BRICK Portability is a factor, but + 2 inches and slightly more weight doesn't affect me personally that much cause I don't have a problem as I'm carrying my bag with me anyways ;) However for + 200$ i think it's better having a quad core i7 a bigger screen, and i see the extra RAM as a bonus kinda, if I could get 8 GB RAM with the 15" i probably would though. Anyways thanks for the help :cool:

----------

Thanks a lot for the advice! I think I'll lean towards the bigger screen size because I do a lot of schoolwork and want to have 2 windows open at once so a bigger screen is definitely a bonus for me. Also I think it's better considering I'm going to spend a lot of hours on it every day.
    Again thanks a lot for the help! ;):D