Need Advice/Clarification: How Do You Setup Your Email

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nd16x, Aug 1, 2011.

1. nd16x macrumors newbie

I currently have three email accounts which I have setup by just going into the mail settings and selecting gmail, not sure if that's IMAP or POP. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the difference is between IMAP or POP.

I primarily use gmail and have labels setup so I would like to be able to move emails to various folders/labels. I'm just curious how you guys recommend setting up my email and if it's better to select the gmail option or using IMAP by following the guide that Google has for iPhone users.

Also, here is one problem I'm having. When I setup my email and go into mail.app I have the inboxes options which has the unified inbox as well as all my other email accounts under it. Then there is the Accounts tab. When I added an exchange account is showed up in the account section of mail.app but whenever I got an email I'd receive it twice, and it got really annoying.

And I'm not sure what the difference is between going to the accounts section of mail.app as it seems that I have all the options that I do under the inboxes option (the first group of emails you see when you launch mail on the iPhone).

I'd really appreciate some clarification in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

2. ateganda29 macrumors member

i set up my gmail accounts using the instructions from google (using exchange from the list rather than the gmail option). i read somewhere before that choosing gmail to set up your gmail account does not render push capability of emails -- unless they've made changes and it pushes emails using the gmail option. but i've always had my gmail accounts set up using exchange. and i don't get double notifications.

so now for the folders, the unified inbox that you see when you open your mail app shows all of your inboxes (if you have gmail, yahoo, work email, aol, etc) but that's that. if you want to have access to your folders in each email account, you would have to go to the mailboxes tab (top left of the all inboxes screen), scroll down to accounts section, and there you will find your different email accounts set up on your phone. if you choose one of your email accounts, you will then see the different folders, labels on that account that you can access. as for moving from your inbox, even in the unified inbox, if you choose an email, click edit, on the lower left you will see the option to move. if you click on that, it'll give you the different labels you have available for that account.

i'm not sure if that answers your question but thought i'd share that information. hope it's helpful.