Need advice fast!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gnarlyhogie, Dec 19, 2010.

1. gnarlyhogie, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

gnarlyhogie macrumors newbie

Ok, so I want a cheap laptop and was thinking about buying a iBook G4 from Gainsaver, but I need to make a decision soon if I want to take advantage of the free shipping and discount that ends in a few hours. I don't need to play games or do photoshop of any kind, but I do need to know the disadvantage's of this laptop now in this day an age (like not being able to upgrade further OS's). Should I buy?

http://www.gainsaver.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cICode=43743&CID=103&SID=M9846LL/A
    (heres the website)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I need to take notes for class, the mobility is great, watching videos (I don't know what resolution video it can run), I wouldn't mind doing some programming on it. Anything else is bonus.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Do you want a cheap laptop or a weak laptop. If you go for it make sure you punch up the specs. You don't want 256mb ram or a used battery. This might be appear cheap but you will be getting what you pay for.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... I agree with above, I think you may be disappointed

6. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

I already put down 1.25 gigs, it has wireless, a combo drive, and I'm not worried about the hard drive, I have a 1tb external. It comes to 288 with discounts, is that a bad price for what I'm getting or could I do better someplace else?

7. gnarlyhogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh nvm, I think I should just wait, I was getting all hyped up. I should just save my money and get a notebook when I "truely" need one. Bleh, I hate my impulse buying.

8. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

You get what you pay for.

I'd save up my $ to get a better laptop. It will be slow.

9. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

When you buy a notebook that you're not sure of, in the near future you will eventually end up shelling out money again for another mac. Wait if you don't need it now and get what you need and want. Don't make impulse purchases and later regret it. That just means more money.
    Unless you can sell it..

10. CoachWade macrumors newbie

Do NOT purchase from Gainsaver!

The details of my experience with them are shown in my video HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F613je6aQqA . Steve Harper, the Gainsaver sales manager/owner (although he denies it) is the most offensive human being I've ever dealt with.

Gainsaver has been reported to five separate consumer protection organizations, and currently has had 294 complaints logged with the LA Better Business Bureau about their business conduct JUST IN THE LAST 36 MONTHS!

That's one complaint EVERY FOUR DAYS from frustrated, angry, and ripped off customers.

I'm certain Harper will see this and respond the same way he responded to the BBB complaint: by ignoring the facts (His customer service is nonexistent. He failed to send me the item I ordered. He committed cyber stalking by looking me up on the internet and calling my employer over a transaction that had nothing to do with them.) in favor of trying to make it my fault (After his employee had hung up on me for the second time-- when I was trying to get her to fix the fact that they had sent me the wrong computer... something gainsaver does CONSTANTLY-- I dropped an F-bomb.) In Harper's mind this makes me the anti-Christ.

Before you consider a purchase from Gainsaver, read the company reviews at he LA County BBB website: http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Gain-Saver-205952320 .

Gainsaver currently has an A+ rating only because Harper knows how to game the system. I called the BBB yesterday and was informed that their system is automated; when a company responds to a complaint the response zeroes the complaint, even if the response has nothing to do with the actual complaint. The lady I spoke to at the BBB informed me that Gainsaver is currently under review due to the volume of complaints they are receiving, so expect that "A+" to be revised sharply downward.

Currently, they are not listed as an authorized Apple refurbisher or reseller. Make of that what you will.

Before you purchase from them, please watch the video and read the reviews.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at coach_wadeAThotmailDOTcom . Anyone who has been ripped off by Gainsaver and needs help building a case to get your money back from your credit card company or to bring to the Attorney General, please contact me as well. I have 54 pages of documentation about this company and their fraudulent tactics I can supply to you to support your case.

~D.