Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
My part time job on my campus requires me to help pretty much anyone in my residence hall with technical issues. The problem is that there are so many people and I'm not always available. So I'm thinking of making a large professionally printed poster to stick outside my dorm room that gives instructions on solving the most common problems.

Any ideas on how I could go about this? Like what program should I use? (My university gives access to all of the Adobe softwares)

I'm good with computers but I'm terribly new to graphic design, and even worse at design by hand.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Hi,

If you do have access to Adobe Creative Suite, then you can certainly use InDesign or Illustrator to create a poster.

If you are planning to simply create a list of questions and answers. ie. a type based poster then I'd recommend using InDesign.

As I'm a graphic designer, I would try and base my design around the visual identity and fonts of your Campus/Halls. :rolleyes: You could even use any Campus logos too, just to make your poster look 'official' and possibly more 'accredited'. :cool:

Do you know what the fonts are? If not, you could take a photo or scan some Campus literature and post it here and I'm sure some very helpful members will advise you further... ;)

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Thanks for the reply!

I go to UNC Chapel Hill. It's the oldest public university in the US so we're really focused on the whole traditional design.

unc-brochure-interior003.jpg

http://reslife.web.unc.edu/

But in my opinion the design looks great but it's not something you associate with technology. I'm thinking about something more modern along the lines of Berkeley's design. http://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/

However my main issue is the layout of a landscape poster board.
I'm thinking of column style addressing the most common problem—how to get on the Internet.
Starting with About ResNET/ME then directions for.. [iPhone/Android/PC/Mac].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.