Need advice for a short-term software development computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smirk, Aug 13, 2008.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I want to get a Mac so I can play around with Apple's development tools (for Mac OS and maybe also for iPhone). My current G3 is far too old to run Leopard and XCode. This will be a short-term solution until the Nehalem Mac Pros come out.

I've seen some first generation Intel iMacs out there for a good price... will that be powerful enough to run Xcode and also use as a primary machine (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.) until the new mac pro is released? The iMacs I've seen are 1.83 Ghz Core Duos (not Core 2 Duo). I figure I could buy one for around $500, maybe even hook it up to my 22" display to get two desktops, and then sell it early next year for a few hundred.

Does this sound reasonable? Thanks!

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Any of the Intel desktops (iMacs, Mac Pros) make good development platforms and have plenty of power. Even though it is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo, you still have two cores and the machine will be plenty fast. :)

3. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Great, thank you. I bought one last night and a new 640 GB drive will get here tomorrow. Then the fun of installing it begins.

Woo hoo! :)