Need advice for buying a iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VerisanAlex, Nov 28, 2013.

1. VerisanAlex macrumors newbie

I've been a Windows user all my life and now i have decided to switch to OS, i want to buy the 21.5" iMac and since i will buy it from Europe i have to pay more for each component so i have a limited amount of money.

The one i want it starts at 2.186$ it's the 21.5" 2.9 Ghz with NVIDIA GT750M 1GB and for each upgrade i have to pay 277$ and i know for sure i'm going to get the 1TB FusionDrive.

I need your help in choosing the second upgrade between 16GB of RAM or the i7 processor because i can't get both.

I am going to use it mainly for web design and web developing and some video editing here and there. Wich one do you recomand?

Thanks.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I would go for RAM. You can't expend it, and I don't think 8 GB will cut it in 5 years. 16 GB probably will.

The i5 should be more than fine for websites and all your regular. Stuff. The processor might be a little bit slower than the i7, but I think you'll primarily notice this during rendering. And when you're rendering, you're already wating. So instead of 40 minutes, it might be 30 minutes. To me, that's not a big deal. Especially if you render during the night.

A good video card and CUDA might help you more in video than a processor.