Need advice for efficentcy

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Lil Chillbil, May 14, 2012.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

ok so yesturday the principal came up to me and told me that I would be working on creating a new computer lab where the old one used to be. only one prob I will be doing it by myself and with no help and I have to get it all done and sparkling in less than 20 days.

The school gave me a budget of $100 and the following tools to help me get it done
    * Mac OS X 10.1 Puma * cleaning disk
    * Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar * 10 air dusters
    * Mac OS X 10.3 Panther * Screen cleaning wipes
    * Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger * hand trolly
    * Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard * special computer repair toolbox
    * Mac Os X 10.6 Snow leoperd
    * Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
    * Mac OS 9 classic

I have to hook up to internet the following macs for the lab
    6 imac g3 bondi-blues
    19 imac g3 dvs
    36 emacs

they all have to meet the following specs
    * the newest operating system that will run on them
    * Adobe reader 9 or later
    * Adobe flash player 10.0 or later
    * Safari 3.0 or later
    * internet

I can work 2 hours and 14 minutes every day for 10 days total

I have to put the table next to the outlet place on 2 imacs
    plug in the keyboard and the mouse
    plug in power
    plug in internet
    install all needed software
    this takes me 20 minutes to set up 2 macs

and I want to know if I made it into an assembly line would it go faster
    like put all the tables in the room 1 day next put all of the imacs
    plug in all of the keyboard and mice next day
    plug all of the power cords the next day
    install all of the needed software and I should be done

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly it sounds like you know the answer because you gave what seems to be the best. However, your principle is asking you to install something such as Flash 10 on those machines? Is that even possible?

3. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Thats what I told my principal

but oh well as long as I get paid

4. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Those G3s are going to be painful to use, especially if you use the most recent OS that will run on them (I believe either 10.3 or 10.4 depending on their clock speeds). There's no way you'll be using flash, flash video is slow on a G4.

5. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

sorry I forgot to say what software i'm running on each

10.1 Puma on the Bondi-blues
    10.3 on the dvs
    10.4 on the emacs

----------

I have no idea how I'm going to get this all done but I will go with the assembly line method though

6. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

You might not want Puma even for the Bondi's, and if you simply have to, use Classic and get abandonware/OS 9 software that can do what the school computers will need to. And you could get Classilla and YTBrowser9 for the Bondi ones. With each update of OS X, it was made more efficient as well, so 10.3 will be better if your Bondi iMacs can use it. eMacs can even run Leopard, so if it's the 1 GHz model or above, you can use Leopard well. Other World Computing would be useful in this case, and will be a good option for upgrades. If you are able to, get MintPPC Linux on them if the school wants to use newer software, and for free as well. TenFourFox is a great browser for those computers, make sure to get that.

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'm going to agree that OS9 might be a better bet for the bondi iMacs especially if you mean the tray-loading cd drive iMacs.

Flash Player 10 is going to require a minimum MacOS 10.4 with the last version for PPC being v10.1.102.64.

For earlier OS X (10.1.x - 10.3.9) v9.0.124 is the highest you can go.

MacOS 9's highest is v7.0r73 released circa December 2007

Find older versions here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

You could put 10.4 on the DV iMacs but only if they have at least 512MB RAM and at least say 450Mhz CPU.

8. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Oh, there's something I forgot to add. See if you could get OpenOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office, if you want to save money. OpenOffice is in no way less functional, and it can open Office documents, just with a couple rendering issues. If you transfer documents between OpenOffice computers and other OpenOffice computers, it should be completely perfect.

9. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I can't get open office and I have taken your advice into account

I set up 16 emacs today and I ran into a problem one of the emacs I could see had a hard time loading and the desktop has at least 18 items on it. I tryed to move the mouse to delete them but it did not move. I tryed 2 different apple mice and still the problem has persisted

I Need help and SOON

10. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I'm guessing you're saving that one for last. It could be a failed RAM stick, though I don't think that could be the case, so maybe it could be a failed hard drive. I'm not sure if it can boot off of USB, so I'm not completely sure you can test that. Maybe the port for the mouse is bad; have you tried plugging something else into that? Restart it as many times as you can, and test if you can control it with the keys using keyboard shortcuts.

11. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I'll try 3 more mice in 4 different usb ports and reboot as many times as it can in 1 hour if that doesn't work i'll just wipe the hardrive and re-install 10.4.3

If that doesn't work i'll report back in 3 hours

12. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

yeah I got it working and was able to set up 18 computers today which means tommorow i'm going to have to hook up 8 more in the morning and spend the rest of the day installing and re-installing 10.4.11 into all of the macs. do that for the next 2 weeks and I can buy my self a g6 tower with the new mountain lion and camera to have the best summer of my life!!