Need advice for more storage with nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by armalite, Feb 27, 2014.

1. armalite macrumors member

Getting nMP with the 1TB SSD in it. I thought I was understand extra storage but now I'm confused again. I'm used to bays. I do photography mainly and I also like to have Windows installed. Will use bootcamp for that but because there are no bays for extra hd's I'm not sure what to do. I did order this....LaCie 3TB d2 USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series Hard Drive. I have 2 of them and thought I would use 1 for Mac and the other for Win. I do like PC games so that's what Win is mainly for. Should I stick with the 1TB SSD and these 2 HD's or should I get different external HD's? I'm just looking for advice please.

2. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

I got the Promise2 TB2 RAID array (four) and couldn't be happier. It's a fantastic array that works great with the nMP. It appears Apple and Promise worked closely together on this.

3. armalite thread starter macrumors member

So I can set up both Mac and Windows on this? I currently have 2 of each in the Bays of my 2010 MP. thanks for the advice

Oh never mind I understand what it does now, thanks again

4. armalite thread starter macrumors member

Looking at that and it's overkill for me, don't need 4 4T, 2 would be better for me.

5. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

4 x 2TB better than 4 x 4TB ? There is a config of the device that is diskless.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...s2-r4-diskless-4bay-thunderbolt-2-raid-system

[perhaps marginally better prices elsewhere. Just grabbed first link. ]

The issue more so is paying more for the reduction in power supplies and cables.

$699 + four 2TB disks >= $1K

two $299 d2 3TB ~ $600

The first will deliver better performance and has more capacity. If the d2's are "fast enough" there isn't much value in that difference though. You could crank the capacity down where just using four 1TB (or 1.5TB) drives in the enclosure which would bring the prices closer together. But still may be paying for functionality not using much. As purely a 4 drive bay HDD JBOD device the P2 isn't cost effective at all.

What is missing on Promise box temporarily is support for Windows. I think there are work arounds for Windows, but not on official specs.

6. armalite thread starter macrumors member

So I could use 4-2T instead of 4T? 8 instead of 16? That would be fine. I also need to make sure I can write files from Windows on one of them. Or maybe I should just stick with what I bought, posted up above.

7. djarum69 macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that you can partition any physical drive into several volumes. would be fine getting a single large drive in a fast enclosure and divide it into maybe a 3GB partition for Mac work and a 1GB partition for Windows. This is the simplest solution I think.

8. armalite thread starter macrumors member

thank you and I'm still looking at the promise2