need-advice for new audio computer, probably MBP 2011 I7 vs. Mac Mini 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteMice, Feb 27, 2013.

1. WhiteMice macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

after hours of trying to decide, Im in need for any kind of advice that gets me nearer to finding a good solution, say a computer for almost only Mixing/Audio/Production - NO need for gaming, also no net-connection needed
    maybe some scoring in the future
    currently only 32bit programs in use... simply cos of the restrictions of my current setup

-well, it wouldnt really need a laptop, but portablity is still important as I would want to use it both at home and in my studio (which is located in a different city, I dont own a car, which rules out the mac pro only solution. would need to transport it traveling by train)
    Ive got screens at home and in my studio, therefore a mac mini would be sufficent

BUT I could get a pretty nice deal on a used MBP, which I could check in persona tomorrow, even though the private seller says its in Very good condition

-late 2011 quad i7 2.2. MBP
    (specs: 16 gb ram, stock 500 gb 5200slow HD)
    1000€

my concerns are:
    - lack of usb 3.0
    - need for a usb solution for driving dual external screens
    - used, no warranty, Im kinda paranoid/not sure if I can risk anything, as I need to lend money to afford a new computer
    which means few hundred bucks + - not That much of a deal, but I really dont want to run into hassle or worries because I dont make that much money/will need pretty long time to even pay off a cheap solution
    - but also means, adding a SSD (which would work wonders for my uses?) wouldnt void any warranty.. cos there isnt anymore..

the big competitor buying a new (from apple, maybe refurbished)
    Mac Mini 2012, think it should be i7/quad for my
    - warranty (see above)
    - if im going the refurbished route, currently no option with SSD/Flash, adding one myself under 1 year would void the warranty.. thatd kill the plus above

also, Im open for any alternative

Im not fixed on a Mac, havent even owned one, but the portability/design of the mac mini and the reputation of macs for system stablity and "problemlessness" simply attracts me
    previously/up to now: Win7 laptop / WinXP IBM-desk in studio. mainly cubase5,reaper,wavelab
    not really desperate or planning on switching to mac / mac only programs like logic (but always eager to at least try it) and probably will also install windows7 on it, just to see which OS fits better

maybe there many options... for example buying a old dual core power mac for studio only And a 2010 MBP

: ) big thanks for ANY kind of thoughts or advice and please excuse my bad english, Im from middle europe

currently Im not coming to any decision cos I fear I could regret the purchase of a used MBP. please tell me if you need further or more detailed information bout my situation/options/used mac minis on my local craiglistlike sites

2. WhiteMice thread starter macrumors newbie

3. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

i was in your situation awhile back.

i went with a 2012 15" MBP - enough CPU horsepower, thunderbolt/minidisplayport, and usb3.0 x2.

also, FW800 port.

i was going to get the retina, but really needed the ports available w/o any adapter goofyness.

my only concern when working away, is how hot this thing gets. it's a bit disconcerting. i've had zero issues thus far.

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

I bought a mac mini 2012 i7 for audio production (mainly cubase, sample libraries, and finale), I upgraded to 16 gigs of ram and have had absolutely no problems. Best buy had an open box for about $700 or so, and the ram was around $100.

The only issue I've had was my Native Instruments komplete 5 apparently isn't supported on mountain lion, and will not install. So check your libraries to verify compatability. Native Instruments only reply was a nice email about it not being supported (there goes my $400..).

The mac mini also has a line in, which is nice. You'll need an external monitor and keyboard and mouse though.