Need advice for next future Apple purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Poisoned1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Poisoned1 macrumors member

Hi all, just registered. So my question is somewhat broad because I have not owned any sort of Mac, I apologize in advance lol. The only Apple product I own is a 32 GB iPad 3G. I bring it everywhere I go. The reason I bring it everywhere is because my main computer is my 18" HP laptop, which is heavy. I am very interested in replacing my current laptop with some sort of Mac. My PC just seems to run iTunes poorly and I would like to own a Mac for the compatibility and ease of synching. My problem is : I do not know whether to get a Mac laptop, iMac, or MacMini. I have used a Mac before, but not long enough to become accustomed to the OS. From my own research I am most interested in the MacMini or iMac. With the MacMini, I do have a sweet flat screen to hook it up to, but then wouldn't be able to watch tv at the same time. Lol. So if anyone that owns one or both can help elaborate on both products and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. leman macrumors 604

Well, if you want a portable machine, get a Macbook (pro), if you want a desktop machine, get an iMac. Still, the new Macbook Pros offer the same or even better performance than the iMac, the iMac has better screen estate and more storage. The base 15" MacbookPro with updated screen resolution seems rather nice :)

3. Poisoned1 thread starter macrumors member

So is the MacMini worth it at all? The only thing I use my HP for is word (I will switch to using pages when I get Mac) and YouTube. I mainly use it for gaming though. I play battlefield bad company 2 and world of warcraft. I am looking more at the MacMini because it is the cheapest. I am trying to plan on buying a Mac in a few months, most likely when the semester is over.

I mainly play these games on lowest settings on so I experience the least amount of lag, so if it meets the minimum requirements then I'm satisfied. Lol

4. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

You'd have to buy a display for the Mini - have you factored that into the costs? Also, the Mini and the iMac are currently at the end of their respective product cycles, so you should definitely wait before buying either machine. The MBP, on the other hand, was just updated yesterday, so you'd be safe with one of those.

5. Poisoned1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I would try planning on buying one when they release the new model. I'm trying to get a idea of what would fit my needs best so then I can start saving up for one. I'm a broke college student and only work over the summers as an intern.
    The new MacBook pros as of now, look out of my price range. Maybe I'll get a raise this summer lol :)

6. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

In that case, I feel your pain. I've been using MBPs/Powerbooks as my main machines for close to a decade, but am not preparing to switch to the iMac (just waiting for a decent update to roll around). Still, I'm not completely sure it's the right decision, there's definitely pros and cons to both paradigms. I've always loved the MBPs because they're small, sleek, silent, rather powerful, and mobile if the need ever arises. On the other hand, you're paying a rather steep premium for that mobility, even if you rarely use it (I almost never used it and came to the conclusion that it didn't make sense to pay so much more just so I could use the computer on my bed). This is why I'm planning to switch to a real desktop, i. e. the iMac.

I have no real opinion on the Mini, to be honest; I've just never been interested in one - it has always seemed incredibly underpowered. The iMac, I think, has become quite a powerhouse since the 2009 upgrades, and it's much better value for money than it used to (when I bought my current MBP in 2007, there was a much clearer divide between the "pro"-lineup and the consumer machines like the iMac. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think something's definitely changed since the iMac got a Unibody enclosure and quad-cores).

7. Poisoned1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I just don't feel that paying so much for the laptop because it is portable. Is the iMac due for upgrade anytime soon? Or did they start their cycle not too long ago? Sorry, I do not keep up on those things.
    Thanks to all replying and discussing this with me.

8. room271 macrumors member

The iMac and Mac Minis are due for updates very soon. See the 'Buyer's Guide' link in the top right of this site to keep track of when to wait/buy.

I am currently waiting for these updates before I splash the cash.

9. mrzeigler macrumors regular

I'm not a regular around here, but I have poked around for a while, and that's the first time I realized the Buyer's Guide was there.

Thank you very much for pointing that out. It's VERY useful.

10. MTI macrumors 65816

Then there's the very large "secondary" market after a new release, when the followers of the "Cult of Steve" cast off their old magical devices, some barely a year old, for the new magical devices. An advantage of buying some gently used equipment . . . you have more cash in your pocket, you have a tool to get your work done and you no longer have to live in fear of not having the latest "thing." :cool:

11. Poisoned1 thread starter macrumors member

One of the reasons I want to buy a Mac is from hearing/seeing how long they last. Even if the Mac is last seasons model the have a good resell value. I'm tired of buying PC after PC and going on Best Buy's website to see a new model of the laptop I just bought a few months ago updated and better. Then, to see now that my laptop is worth, at best, a little more than half it's retail price. Also, is it common for iTunes to run poorly on a PC? Is there a noticeable difference running iTunes on a PC from a Mac?

12. flipster macrumors 6502a

13. roofexpert macrumors newbie

I am finally switching over to Mac and need some help deciding what imac to get. I am looking at buying a refurbished imac 27-inch; 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor ($1,439.00), 2.66 GHz Quad-Core i5 ($1,529.00), and 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processor ($1,699.00).

The majority of the time I am writing reports in Microsoft Word, emailing, and surfing the web (research and some personal). I typically will have multiple programs and files up at time (current report that I am working, several past reports that I cut and paste from, photographs that I had taken during my inspections, the web, and email program)

I also work in AutoCad (a few days a month) where I draw roof plans and details. My drawings are very simple (no 3-D or rendering). When I switch to Mac I will be also be switching to TurboCad.

I also would like to redesign and continue to update my company website. I have worked with Microsoft Expressions but will be switching to Adobe Creative Suite cs5 (Dreamweaver, photoshop, and flash). I would also like to make small instructional videos for my website. I’m not a graphic designer buy any means.

Lastly (and sorry if I am asking too much), my dell laptop is near its end (blue screen of death several times a week). I have been living with the blue screen since January. I back up every night and while I am working on a file I have it set to auto save to dropbox. I have a back-up Desktop I can use if my Dell completely crashed. Although my computer situation is extremely frustrating, I can live with this another month if I need to. Since I never have tracked the cost of Mac computers, I do not know how much the will typically drop in price when there is a refresh. If it is a few hundred dollars, I think I will wait. Would you recommend me waiting or is the price drop very little?