Need advice for right Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vegasj76, Aug 23, 2009.

1. vegasj76 macrumors member

Apologies if this has been asked & answered; I searched but didn't find anything related.

Budget: < $1500 USD.

Needs, in order of importance:
    1. Play World of Warcraft.
    2. Develop iPhone applications.
    3. Boot to windows (xp or win 7) to develop in .Net with Visual Studio 2008 (this is my job, I have to do it).
    4. If laptop, at least 15" screen.

This will be my first mac since having a quadra over 10 years ago, so I don't really know anything about Macs now. I guess the big answer I'm looking for here is "you need to go mb pro" or "you don't really need a pro, a regular mb is fine for your needs" or "for your budget, iMac is the way to go."

Also, if i go iMac, I can use my own keyboard/mouse, right? I've got a very nice das keyboard (daskeyboard.com) and a g9 logitech mouse I'd like to use on this mac.

Thank you for looking. Again, I did try searching for good comparisons, but most of them are outdated by a year or more.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

The iMac is your best fit. Yes, you can use your own mouse and keyboard, assuming they are USB.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Simply depends on how much portability you need. If it is not a biggie, I'd go for the iMac. If you do have a notebook now and find yourself using that feature, then get a 15" MacBook Pro, possibly a refurb.

Both computers will be (more than) adequate for what you need.

4. TerrorOFdeath macrumors member

TerrorOFdeath

Why don't you consider an MacMini?

WOW will run even on an the 9400 just fine, and you can use an TFT if you have one, or buy a better one than the iMac offers.

+ you also will have an portable device.

Tod

5. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't even consider the Mini because I assumed it wouldn't be able to handle a video game like WOW. I might just go this route!

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You mean a Mac mini and on the 9400M and can use your own monitor and a portable device.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Mac Mini or iMac! both will serve your needs and will be able to take your hardware so long as they are usb [​IMG]