Need Advice For Video Storage Please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AnseLaRaye7, Aug 12, 2015.

1. AnseLaRaye7 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to feed all my videos into a reliable external source that will last and that I can burn dvd, blue ray, etc. from. I want to transfer vhs, hi-8, dvd, super 8's, and sd cards that all contain mostly family video over the past 50 years. I will transfer them into the external source and them edit them later. Most of the video camcorders I used were Sony. I want to purchase an iMac to do this with. I am looking at this configuration:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    • 1TB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
    • Apple Mouse
    • Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Arabic) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

I obviously want to use the iMac for daily use word processing, email, iTunes, etc. but the main focus will be on video saving and editing. I just need help on what video storage that I need. I have quite a bit of video but I want to archive it. Also,will the video from the vhs tapes and hi-8's appear different on a 5 k screen? Any recommendations would be most appreciated. Thank you very much! Dean

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Please look at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/ThunderBay-4

3. AnseLaRaye7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Your video is low resolution. You do not need expensive drives for low resolution video. Do not spend more than $50 per terabyte.

6. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

What fa8362 said, if you're talking fairly low resolution video (and therefore smaller file sizes) and your focus is on transfer and archive rather than streaming them all the time, I would say a USB-3 drive like a WD 'my book' or a seagate will be fine and not too expensive. You'll also need a burner of some kind. I use the Samsung one which burns CD, DVD and Blu-Ray.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yes, I have 4 Mercury Elite Pro series, great drives!!!

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I have two of the OWC Thunderbay IV (the Thunderbolt1 predecessor to the Thunderbay 4) and they are excellent enclosures. I use HGST Deskstar NAS and Toshiba hard drives in them without any issues.