Need Advice from an iMovie Expert

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jhoff8252, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jhoff8252 macrumors newbie

I uploaded a bunch of home videos to my iMovie library a while back, not realizing that it would increase the size of my video library from 40GB to 140GB. I don't have much room left on my laptop and would like to delete some files. Since I have the original movie files saved on an external drive, I'm thinking about deleting the iMovie events that I created when I uploaded the videos to iMovie, but I'm worried that this means I will lose all of the iMovie projects I created. What will happen to my iMovie projects when I delete the source files? Is there any way to preserve them without keeping 140GB of video saved to my laptop? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jahala macrumors regular

3. will waters macrumors regular

Everything on external drive

Hi
    I use FCXP and iMovie a lot and i keep all my videos on external drive, so yes the easiest way would probably be to delete them and if you need them again import them into iMovie however make sure it saves it onto your external drive
    Hope this helps

Will

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm not an expert, but I believe if you just delete the iMovie events it breaks the iMovie projects. The project will show an error the next time you open iMovie. Basically the projects are linked to or point at specific places in the event files. I also believe (though I'm not positive) that if you then reload the original footage, the projects will still be broken.

I've asked about this before and never gotten a clear answer.

jahala's linked article looks useful if you want to move both the events and projects off to an external drive -- probably your best bet.

Regards,
    Brian33

5. jhoff8252 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your responses. You were all helpful. Cheers!