Need advice from fellow rmb users

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mozzyman, May 12, 2016.

1. mozzyman macrumors newbie

I saw the 2015 12" Retina M-5Y51 1.2GHz 8GB 512GB model selling for $1099 brand new online. Do you guys think this is a good value? Is the performance bump on the 2016 model worth spending the extra money or is the 2015 model alright. I wouldn't be doing any gaming on this machine as I have desktop for that. This would mainly be used for web browsing, emails, and light creative work.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If it's still under original Apple warranty, I say go for it. I got mine a little below that price on eBay and I'll extend the coverage when it's up at the end of June.

4. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

+1

No need to spend the extra money. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would choose the '16 over the '15 with the type of usage the OP describes.

BJ

5. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

If you're worried about missing out on some noticeable performance leap from the previous model to this years one, it's probably not such a big deal from most reports. But, the 2016s do seem to get at least an hour more of battery life. So if that's something that really makes a difference for you, keep it in mind.

6. geekiemac macrumors regular

geekiemac

I have a 2015 rMB and use it for similar things (web, mail, office and movie watching with VLC). Really fine. I also bought mine with a special rebate (like, 4 days before release of the 2016 models). I used the rebate to get AppleCare ;)

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

It's a fairly good deal. Not sure if you saw it on Groupon-- they had a similar deal within the last couple of weeks. Problem was tax was additional almost $100.

If you're patient though I think the 2015 models will only get cheaper in the next couple months. I'm sure you could find a better deal elsewhere, just depends how badly you need a computer.

8. mozzyman thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up going thru with the purchase. Cannot wait to get it in! Should hold me over until those new macbook pros are released :)