Need Advice Getting My 1984 Macintosh 128 Case Back On

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by cocacolakid, Nov 2, 2011.

1. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I picked up a gorgeous 1984 Macintosh 128 from the original owner about a month ago. The logic board had some bad chips on it. It's fixed now and working great. My problem though is that I can't get the back case back on all the way. The logic board is pushed in all the way, but the very top of the case just won't fit back in. I don't want to force it and damage the case. If I put the torx screws in they won't pull it all the way closed, and I do not want to crack the case by over tightening the screws. I'm being intentionally careful not to force it and damage the case. It's a great machine. Any advice on how to get it back together? I've checked that the battery slot is not pushing against the case, and that the i/o ports aren't stuck under the case, and they're all fine. I just can't get the case to close at the very top. It's 1/4" or so open.

Tips?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Check the top of the Analog Board where it meets the front plastic case. There is a slot there that the Analog Board fits into. If it isn't in that slot and you can't move the board into it, lay the front of the Mac face down, loosen the 4 screws that hold the Analog Board in place (sometimes there are only two) and refit the board into the slot. Re-tighten the screws whilst keeping the board in position. :)

3. cocacolakid thread starter macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Amazing what the grey matter instantly recalls when prompted. :)

Cheers!

5. cocacolakid thread starter macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The analog board was only out of place a tiny bit, but it was enough to not let the case close.

6. bombo, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

bombo macrumors newbie