Price Advice Need advice -- good deal $$$

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RUGGLES99, Feb 14, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Apple Macbook Pro 17", i7 Quad, 2.4ghz, 750gb 2012 *MINT* for $900. Seller origially was asking $1100, but came down to $900. I thought the $1100 was good. :) so is this a "buy." All input mist appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Don't check just once source, but get an average from all sites for a more accurate idea. Some sites may be higher/lower than is realistic. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. If the model is recent enough, you can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

3. duervo, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If it has the matte screen and 8GB RAM, then $800-$850 is what I would pay ... it would have to be immaculate though, and come with the original box. I would be on the fence for any more than that, because don't forget, unless the seller explicitly stated, the battery is most likely NOT new, and that's another ~$100 to replace if it's near the end of its life.

Also, FWIW, late-2011 model is the last 17" that Apple released. So, it can't be a 2012, unless the seller means that's when they personally bought it (i.e.: In 2012, but before the mid-2012 models came out.)

During your thoughts on it, keep in mind that aside from the 17" screen, which isn't available anymore, the rest is 4 year-old tech inside. That fact alone is enough to make me think that even $800 is a bit much to be paying, even for matte and 8GB.

Oh yeah, and if that HDD is original. 4 years of spinning platters will have taken its toll on the lifespan of it. Something else to keep in mind. Expect to have to replace the HDD sooner, rather than later. Superdrive too, for that matter ... and fans! Those are ~$50 each on ifixit ... another $100 to fix sooner rather than later. Not such a good deal after-all, taking all that into consideration. I'd like to change my original number to something lower ... $500-$600.

4. Asher133 macrumors member

At most I would pay $700 its old technology and 2011 macpros 15" and up are all known to have graphical problems because the Amd CPUs

5. tpluth macrumors member

I'm seeing some lowball prices posted here, but my thought is that a well cared for, fully functional 17" MBP would actually fetch a premium over a similar age 15" MBP, since there are no more 17" models being built.

I paid $800 for my late 2011 i7 2.4ghz 8GB 750GB 17" MBP about a year ago because it needed a new keyboard (everyone else was asking $1200 to $1800 at that time, depending on RAM and HDD/SSD installed). I thought that was a fair deal then, but now that I've upgraded the RAM to 16GB and put in a 512GB SSD I wouldn't sell it for less than $1200.

Replacing the keyboard is no fun task. It's held in by about 50 of the smallest screws you've ever seen, but I got it done myself. I used it as a desktop for about 10 months until I picked up a screamin deal on a 2011 27" iMac i7 3.4GHZ.

Check the battery cycle count under system profiler. If it's over 400, It would concern me. If it's in the 100 to 200 range, you should be good, otherwise see if you can take some off the $900. The battery is easy to replace, but you need a special three blade screwdriver (you can get it from fixit.com), I even saw a new battery on eBay with the tools you'd need for $50.

The biggest concerns I'd have is dead pixels and dust accumulation if it's been used iprimarily as a desktop replacement. The CPU cooler makes a great dust trap and if it's clogged the fans will run a lot making it very noisy, but that's pretty easy to clean if you don't mind opening it up, removing the fans and blowing out the radiators.

The 750gb drive is slow (5400 RPM), plus it's 3 years old now. I'd put a 1TB 7200RPM HDD or the biggest SSD you can afford in it and it will serve you well.

A great feature of the 17" MBP is that it has a 34mm Express Card slot, so you can add eSATA or USB 3.0 if you want, and of course, it's already got Thunderbolt.

Good luck with it. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.