need advice/help: Clean install / new SSD /Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justboughtamac, Dec 20, 2012.

1. justboughtamac macrumors newbie

2009 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26ghz/160/2x1gb MB990

This is my first apple laptop and I am buying it used from a friend.
    I know that it originally came with snow leopard and then was upgraded to mountain lion. Once I purchase this laptop I want to upgrade to a SSD & 8gb of ram and I want to do a clean install of lion. What is the best way to do this?

can i just create a mountain lion usb start up flash drive then power down laptop and then replace Harddrive & Ram and boot up with usb and install?

or Do i have to do anything prior like erase his files or junk on the computer?

Once again this is my first macbook pro and I am also not the most computer savy person in the world any advice would be helpful, thanks

2. mabaty macrumors member

Do exactly as you say. Make bootable USB with OS X on it, test it, replace hardware, use usb to reinstall OS X.

3. justboughtamac thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, nice so i dont have to worry about anything being on his laptop(he did not erase/format anything)

----------

This might be a stupid question but how do i test the bootable USB.
    (sry but this is my first macbook and i dont have it yet and am just getting prepared)

4. mabaty macrumors member

After you make the usb drive reboot your machine and hold down the 'option' key after the Apple dong. Then, a list of volumes should come up, one should be an orange usb volume icon, which is your bootable volume. Select it and make sure it brings up the OS X installer/utilities.

5. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find the OSX installer in my MBP -- where is it?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you download the installer from the App Store, it is saved in the /Applications folder. But once you run the installer it deletes itself. So if you need it to make yourself a USB key installer you will need to download it again.