Need Advice/Help on Installing Ram on White MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daryliow, May 30, 2009.

1. daryliow macrumors regular

Hi

I Purchased a White Macbook is September 2008 which currently only has 1Gb Ram. I was wondering is someone could:

A) point me in the right direction of which ram to buy and how much I should buy? I want it to perform to its best.

and

B) How easy is it to install, are there any visual instructions anywhere?

I have tried searching this forum but could only find answers for MacBook Pros. I also live in the Uk if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Also just read on Apple Website that my model can support up to 4GB, how do I go about getting to 4gb when I all ready have 1GB. Never upgraded a computer before. Thanks

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Try crucial.com/uk.

I have the original macbook, I presume its the same. You remove the battery, and then remove the screws from the L-Shape enclosure. Once that is removed, you can access the RAM. I honestly don't know if your macbook will have one 1GB card or two 512. Mine had two 512, so I had to push them in for them to be pushed out so I could safely remove them.

Check the apple.com/support site for better instructions.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can try this video

It will walk you through step by step
    It is isn't difficult and you will do just fine

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both so much. Just ordered 4gb. Installing looks quite easy. I hope.

Once again thanks alot.

5. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Problem

Turns out I spoke to soon, thought I'd checked how my ram came out, I got it out easily now when I put it all back all my MacBook does is beep at me! The l shaped bar that holds it in doesn't seem that flush anymore! I have tried re putting them in several times!

Any help, all I have to use the web now for a answer is my iPhone!

Thanks

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds like the ram has not been pushed all the way into the slots. Use the levers to kick the ram back out and then PUSH them back in.

If you don't have white marks on the ends of your fingers then you did not push hard enough....

7. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

I now have White fingers and a MacBook that works! Thanks a lot

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Same procedure when the Crucial ram arrives - sometimes it helps to "rock" the ram into place - pushing one side then the other. Hard to explain but you may understand - still white fingers though....

Getting the L shaped bracket in place takes practice too.....

Push the bracket into place and start with the screw nearest the hard drive and tighten it so it just catches. Then push the "padding" back into the slot with your nails (if you have any or the edge of a creditcard if you don't). Just push the padding in till you get to the middle screw then tighten that screw a couple of turns. Then push the padding for the next slot back in and tighten the end screw. Back to the middle screw and tighten it completely then tighten the one nearest the hard drive.

There is no point in tightening the screws if there is foam sticking out....