Need Advice/Help With Macbook Pro Decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LanonJ, Feb 20, 2012.

  1. LanonJ macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    Location:
    Redondo, CA
    #1
    Good evening everyone,

    I put myself in a situation. (You can skip to the bottom and just give me advice on what I should do, by just reading whats in (****___****) I just wanted to give information on my situation, so it can better help you, help me.

    I am a college student, and I always wanted a macbook pro. (For the feel/appearance of it, how fast it was, and all the programs that came with it and since it was known for not catching viruses). Plus I knew that when I bought it I wouldn't have to buy another computer for the rest of my life. (Only Batteries, and warranty extensions).

    With that being said I rushed into it, without researching anything and went out and bought the MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) MD322LL/A 15.4"/2.4 Quad-core i7/2x2GB/750-5400 Model. Retailed at about 2200 after taxes, and I also bought it with the ADH warranty ($400) from best buy, and the buyback program option ($30), with the printer. ($100) Spent about $2700

    Recently I noticed that I don't use my computer a lot, well as much as I use to use my old windows 7 acer computer and since it is used lightly, only for video chatting, watching movies, editing photos, web browsing and homework. I figured that I might as well get rid of it and buy a cheap macbook pro that could perform the same functions and still get the job done, but also last, with me keeping more money in my pocket! Which I could use towards a lot of important things.

    ***So my situation is that I am thinking about selling my macbook pro that I purchased on oct. 27th. Its looks and still runs brand new, No cosmetic blemishes and I already put it up for $2000, People think it goes for $2500 so with it being fairly new and all, I figured I'd get offers close to that and just take it as long as its over $1800, because I will get a pro-rated refund for the warranty and I'm keeping the printer :) So I would lose about $400. (I already got offers close to the price, but don't won't to sell it if it's not a good idea too).

    Reason why I would sell: I wanted to buy an older and bigger macbook pro model preferably the one in (June 2009) 17" MCA226LL/A model and I was wondering if I should? If not I would just buy the Mid 2009 one, with the same screen size as the one I have now. I know that its a Core 2 Duo Processor, but knowing that I will only use it for web browsing, video chatting, uploading and editing photos, doing homework, and watching movies. Would this be a good idea, like would I feel any difference in the 2009 model compared to the 2011? If so what would the difference be? as I know they look the same.

    Here are the specs of the Macbook Pro I would buy from uBid:
    Apple MacBook Pro MC226LL/A Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz 4GB 500GB 17"
    or
    Apple MacBook Pro MB986LL/A Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz 4GB 500GB
    http://www.ubid.com/Apple_MacBook_Pro_MB986LL/A_Core_2_Duo_2.8GHz_4GB_500GB_15.4"/a603281632.html
    or
    Apple MacBook Pro MB985LL/A Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB
    http://www.ubid.com/Apple_MacBook_Pro_MB985LL/A_Core_2_Duo_2.66GHz_4GB_320GB_15.4"/a603281631.html
    (Should I trust this site) -I'm not worried about the Cosmetic Wear & Tear, as I can just get a cover.


    As for my buyer options: I found the old ones on ebay manufactured refurbished for about 1100-1200 and some on ubid.com (for $1070 re-certified) and I was also wondering should I trust buying it from ubid? I would get a 90-day guarantee and buy the 2 year square-trade warranty that covers a lot. Plus I would have an extra $1000 in my pocket, plus the macbook pro.****

    Should I do this, or should I keep my new macbook pro, knowingly that I'm not a hard PC User? Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to doing this, but don't won't to if it's a bad idea.
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    Just keep your current machine.
     
  3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    Keep it. Your just going to end up losing money and regretting it a few years from now when the older one can't run new software.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Keep it, in the end, you'll only lose money on the deal.
     
  5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #5
    yeah, you might lose a little bit of money, but in reality it's putting money back into your pocket, so I'm not sure why everyone is telling you not to do it.

    You should be able to sell it for fairly close to the price you paid for it, might lose a few hundred dollars, but if you end up selling it for around $2,000, buy another computer for around $1000... you will have an extra grand in your pocket. Don't see how that's "losing" money considering you don't use the machine you have now.

    A grand in my pocket and a lesser computer is worth more to me than a $2500 paper weight I'm scared to sell because I'll only get $2000 for it.
     

Share This Page