Need advice... (iPad or MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnixon, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jnixon macrumors newbie

I'm interesting in buying an iPad 16GB WIFI or selling my black MacBook for a new MacBook Pro 13" lowest model.

Here's my current setup.
    (late 2009) 21.5" iMac
    (mid 2007) black MacBook upgraded to 4GB ram and 300GB HD/replaced cracked case 2 months ago so it looks brand new
    16GB iPhone 4
    8GB iPod Touch 2nd Gen

My first option would be to keep everything as is and just buy an iPad. I like the fun factor of the iPad and could buy one now but I'm real curious about the iPad 2. The price is very attractive on the iPad today. I would keep my MacBook in this scenario. I've read that many who have the iPad don't use their MacBook as much. This leads me to my other option.

My other thought is to sell my MacBook and use the money from that and the money I was going to use on the iPad (plus a little extra) to purchase a new MacBook Pro. My thinking here is that it's a brand new machine. I'm worried about the age of my MacBook.

I've also considered just selling my MacBook and purchase the iPad. Do I really need an iPad and MacBook? I could sync the iPad to my iMac. One reason I don't like this option is that the other day my Aunt got the radio shack hookup on an iPhone 4. She didn't have it backed up and needed to trade it in right then and there. I was able to meet her at the store and backup her iPhone 3G and restore her iPhone 4 with all of her data. That was cool. I wouldn't be able to do that with an iPad.

Thanks for any input. I'm going crazy with the possibilities.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would wait for iPad 2 to come out and see if it offers a camera, sd slot or some other deal sweetener. I found myself using my iPhone 4 a lot more than my iPad due to multitasking. Once the iOS 4.2 update came out, I find myself using them about equally once again. If the Blackbook is holding up, why not go for the iPad for portability.

With the new Macbook Air, I wonder if I should consider that option for my next "notebook". Then I'd sell of my white Macbook and possibly get an iMac or a 15 in Macbook Pro. I'd have the iPad for everyday use, the MBA for situations where I need to do a lot of typing at a meeting (typing on the iPad is not productive), and the MBP on my desk (notebook as a desktop) for more intensive use. But if I had to choose between the MBA and the iPad, I'd definitely get an iPad. It's something that is a lot easier to bring along.

Last night, our power was off for 12 hours. We went to Panera bread so our daughter could study. I brought along my iPad and caught up on my web browsing and did some ebook reading. The battery never dipped below 90%. Meanwhile my iPhone 4 got down to 48%.

3. jnixon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback r0k. I love hearing stories like yours were the convenience and functionality of these machines really show up.

I've decided to try and sell the MacBook and go for 13" MacBook pro. I'm just too worried about the age of this machine. My father in law had his G5 crash this past week so it's got me all freaked out. The price is right on the MacBook Pro right now ($999) so that's what I'm going for.

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

LOL what does this even mean?

5. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Just an FYI, the 13" MacBook Pro starts at $1199.

Do you mean the white MacBook, which does indeed start at $999?

Have you considered the 11.6" MacBook Air? It starts at $999 also, and has just about the same portability as the iPad, and a solid state drive, plus it's a stand alone laptop. If your iMac is your primary, and you don't want to be without a full fledged computer, the extreme light weight of the Air may make it the best option.

6. jnixon thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I sold my BMP for $600 today (in the Apple store). Earlier in the day I reserved a new MBP from MicroCenter. They had it for sale at $999 new. $200 off. While at the Apple Store I told the salesperson that I was buying the MBP and she said that they price matched any offers. I walked out of the Apple Store with a brand new MBP for $999.

Not sure if I made the best decision but I really like this machine so far. Not much different from the MB but the differences are nice.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, dime21, I was just worried about my machine failing at some point in time. My father in law did not have his G5 crash as he thought but got a nice little scare. These Macs apparently last forever.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

apple price matches!?!?!? i dont think they do it over here..

8. jnixon thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that they matched prices either. I had reserved the MBP from Micro Center in marietta, ga that had the machine for $999 brand new. After mentioning it to the sales lady at Apple she said they would match the price. Couple conditions applied though:
    1. Had to be a free standing retail store. Couldn't be an internet store.
    2. Had to be the exact same machine specs.

I was very please. I'd much rather purchase the machine from Apple than Micro Center.