Need Advice: iPhone or Blackberry

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hollerbach, Sep 15, 2009.

1. hollerbach macrumors newbie

Here's the situation:

I currently have a simple LG handset (VX 8350) with Verizon, on my family's plan, with Mom more than happy to cover my $9.99/month charges. I use fewer than 450 minutes each month, send/receive about 500 text messages, and use almost no data.

I am due for a Verizon upgrade discount in three weeks and my professional life could use a communications technology update. I need the ability closely monitor my inbox (Gmail), update contacts between phone and e-mail quickly (Mac AddressBook), and manage my calendar (Gcal). Bonuses would include ability to open and view PDF & MS Word documents, a full html browser (which I would use liberally), long battery life, and mysterious healing properties.

So...

Blackberry Tour is on sale now with Verizon for $150, and my only ongoing costs would be the additional BB data plan. Plus, I could get my Gmail pushed. (But I know little about how data charges work with BB/VZW)

I sure do want an iPhone 3GS. I have a MacBook, and the iPhone really does do all these things better than Blackberry. But the costs (both up front and going forward) are daunting, even if I limit my voice and messaging plans.

I am almost considering getting one of T-Mobile's android offerings with a data-only plan and keeping voice on my LG.

My question is:
    With the iPhone, will there be a bump in productivity significant enough to outweigh the increased cost to myself? Money is tight for me right now - and iPhone would mean I downsize my goals in my current apartment hunt. In NYC. Hard enough already. Am I missing anything in my considerations?

I would appreciate anyone's advice -- thanks,

Matt H.

2. dlemmon macrumors regular

it gets pricey especially if you need to add a messaging plan. if you are really that tight on cash, I'd just wait and stick with what you have, or get something that can be cheaper. there are phones that you can get mobile email on where the service for that is like 10$ a month. I've had black berries, and they are pretty good too, there are even programs to sync with your mac for them. check out a curve or pearl I think you may be able to get a cheaper data plan with those.

3. bobbydacron macrumors newbie

Blackberry or Iphone

I just switched from VZW Blackberry to Att iPhone. Here's what I gave up, great reception and battery life. Here's what I got, a really great phone with an amazing interface. I can still get my email, I can listen to my music much better than I ever could on the BB. The iPhone has a really user friendly, pleasant looking interface. On the blackberry you have a much better spell checker.

Price wise there's not a huge amount of difference. With your family plan on VZW the data will run about $30 unless you get a higher priced plan.

The iPhone is great, but I do wish it was on VZW. I don't regret switching but I do curse under my breathe when I leave Penn Station on NJ transit and can't get a signal. Do I regret switching...no way. All this for vanity

NOw there is one more thing to keep in mind. With a blackberry you can get insurance in case you lose your phone or it drops into a lake. (I have done both) with the iPhone you are on your own.

For me, I would get the iPhone because it. I've had a BB for about 4 years and don't really miss it except when the battery is about to die.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I so far haven't heard one complaint about the trackball/the phone at all yet at work. Thank goodness.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

50% of Sprint users is a minimal amount apparently...

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Any word on verizon stats? I like the VZW version better. The back has a matte finish, not ugly smudgy shiny plastic. :p