Need advice. Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JSF, Aug 25, 2010.

1. JSF macrumors member

JSF

"MacPro 2.8 GHZ - 8 Core 8GB Ram, 3TB, 1TB AppleTime Capsule - $1400

Mac Pro 2.8GHZ - 8 Core - 8GB Ram, 3TB + Extras!!!!!
    1TB Apple Time Capsule - New in Box!!!!!!!
    Apple Care on MacPro until February 2012

Like New - No Scratches or Imperfections - Rarely Used (~1 year old)

Apple Time Capsule is New in Box from Apple Store - Never Opened
    (All Media Below is Pre-Installed - No Disks - Will Provide Install Keys)
    Adobe CS4 Master Collection
    Aperture 2.1.2
    Final Cut Express 4.0
    Nik Software Complete Collection
    Microsoft Office 2008
    Up for sale is an 8 Core, 2.8GHZ Mac Pro. It pains me to sell it, but I never have time to use it anymore, and mobility is much more important at this point in my life.
    The specs are as follows:
    -2x 2.8GHZ Intel Xeon Processors (8 Cores total)
    -8GB Ram
    -3.2TB of Hard Drive Space
    -Applecare extended warranty that expires Feb 19, 2012.
    -nVidia 8800 GT video card with 512MB video ram
    -Apple Airport wireless
    -Apple Superdrive
    -It has been used in a smoke free, pet free environment. Original box, manual, and OS XDVDs.
    This is an amazing computer, and it will be blazing fast for many years to come."
    I am not a professional. I do photography and video as a hobby. I was planning on buying the new i7 imac. This seems like a better value to me. Just wondering what your opinions are.
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The following is a bit suspicious, as no disks are included, only the keys, which can be acquired through other means, thus you don't have the licenses for using those applications.

The price is quite low too, according to Mac2Sell it should be double of that.
    http://www.mac2sell.net/permalink/?id=b53f14de0aae62c908161ad405a213a2

Maybe the machine is stolen?

PS: The TC is worth 300 USD, which would bring the price up to 3200 USD, if one takes the Mac2Sell price for the MP into account.

3. sboerup macrumors 6502

Thats a smoking deal, I just sold my rig, nearly the same specs that you listed, for $2600 (except mine had an upgraded GPU and 16GB RAM). If its a 2008 MP then yes thats a great deal, sounds too good to be true though . . .

Software is pirated though. If this is a local deal, I'd go pick it up.

4. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

I am not worried about the software. I have Photoshop CS5, Aperture 3 and Final Cut Express. Just looking at it from the hardware standpoint. I will do a clean install of the OS and my software. It does seem to be to good to be true.

5. sboerup macrumors 6502

Either he's really REALLY desparate or it's a scam. That machine should be at least $2100. Or, he stole it and doesn't know it's value (pricing like a PC).

6. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

Is there a way to find out if it is stolen? It say's he has applecare. Could I ask for the applecare number or maybe the computer's serial number and call Apple? It is in another state but I have a brother that lives in the same city. I was going to have him go and check it out. Make sure everything is working properly.

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

I would request the AppleCare # to verify . . . if he seems to be worried about handing that number over, I might be worried.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Is this on craigslist? Did he post it on a different city than the one he is in?

Sounds kind of fishy, but may be a good deal. Just make sure you pick it up and test it out. Sounds about 1000 too low.

9. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

Yes, it's on craigslist. He is posting it in the city in which he lives. I live in a different state. I was checking that city because there were none for sale in my city, and I have a brother that lives there. I have sent the seller an e-mail. When he gets back to me I will have my brother check it out.
    Thanks for the help.

10. sboerup macrumors 6502

sorry, to clarify, not the AppleCare # but the serial.

11. JSF thread starter macrumors member

JSF

Looks like a rip off. Here is the e-mail I got back.
    "It's still for sale but before I start answering your questions, I'll have to let you know that I left town a few days ago because I have to help my daughter organize her wedding, and I may stay here a while, but this is no problem because I'll sell it through Liberty Consignment Stores. I guess you used Liberty Consignment Stores before, if you didn't then let me know because I met people that never used it and I will explain how it works in detail. Also let me know if you have other questions about the item."

Thank you
    Maria

12. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Yep. Too bad, it would have been a really good deal.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell her you don't mind waiting, you are willing to pay for it once she gets back, and see how she responds.

14. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I always tell the scammers that I happened to move as well, to that same city.

They never email back......

15. sboerup macrumors 6502

lol, awesome.