Need Advice, Just Purchased Refurb Macbook Pro Retina 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eraynai, Apr 24, 2013.

1. eraynai macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some advice. I just received my refurb macbook pro retina 15. I got a good deal as apple just dropped the price on it. The problem is that after doing the test I got

Color LCD
    LP154WT1-SJA1
    DCN25210BSTF49JAB

I'm seeing no evidence of IR at the moment and have done the test, but I've heard it gets worse with time. I'm currently in my 14 day window. Do I return the machine, hoping to get a Samsung?

Just would like some advice...thanks!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you live near an Apple retail store, I would take it straight in to them and see if they can replace the screen, if not swap the entire machine outright.

3. eraynai thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SMDBill macrumors 6502

They absolutely would. Same warranty as if you bought a brand new one.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You'd have a better chance if you could physically show them any image retention. Either way, you have an entire year from the date of purchase and can even extend it with AppleCare if you so desire (and I would recommend you do so).

6. eraynai thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok will do. As it's not showing any IR currently, what would you say? Would you point them to all the threads talking about the issue?

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Why would they replace his screen if it shows no signs of image retention?

You could try your luck with sending it back, but if it does develop image retention down the road then Apple should fix it for you.

Apple Certified Refurbished comes with the same 1-year warranty as a new device, and you can (and probably should) also buy AppleCare to extend that to a total of 3 years.

8. eraynai thread starter macrumors newbie

problem is, I need the machine now. This is my only one and I can't go without it. I guess it's best to wait and see if the IR shows up and of course down the road buy applecare if I'm really concerned.