Need advice. (Long, sorry)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simbadog1999, Aug 16, 2015.

1. simbadog1999 macrumors newbie

simbadog1999

I have an early 2011 mbp that you guys helped me with back then and so appreciated your direction and advice!

My 2011 is showing signs of age + my son needs a laptop for school basics so I felt this was the perfect opportunity to upgrade and was excited when I started assembling a new one!

And now....instead of being excited, I am worried that the migration is going to be problematic for my small brain.

1. I do interior home photography and all print collateral for our company so I use photoshop and illustrator everyday all day. Was looking at a 15" mbpr with the 2.5ghz/512 option. I always have an external for photo files and use dropbox for print files and other stuff. Is that too much of a machine for me?

2. A few years back, while working with our awesome IT guy and redesigning our site, he felt sorry for me that I was using Elements and an old old version of illustrator. So he downloaded (?)(loaned?) those programs and of course my work improved. We were trading/uploading images and it was easier for him that I was using a program that he could manipulate and teach me for taking over the website updates. Please don't judge me for that--he knew I was going to buy CS6 in the near future. (Which I ultimately did not, obviously)

3. So from what I gathered from reading through the forums here--I will lose those two programs because I don't have the credentials or info I guess I would need to uninstall etc. (Our IT guy moved to another state and got a great job--I miss him!) Ok, so I am not interested in purchasing the adobe cloud option, I want to buy the old cs6 and have found a few places that have it that appear legit..and expensive when considering the mbpr I am looking into!

4. So I lose those two programs, but some of you add that the cs6 does not look correct in the retina display? Can you lead me in the right direction/advice on what to do if I just do not want to do the cloud option?

5. I purchased an Airport Time Capsule last night for added backup and to somewhat streamline the macs in my life. And really because I feel like I will somehow f up this migration process.

6. Some of you also mentioned cloning--would you recommend I do that too knowing my limited knowledge?

7. I have not installed Yosemite after reading that it slows older Mbps down-- but if I don't want to manually migrate, I need to update?

If you are still reading, I truly appreciate because I know a bunch of newbies asking the same question over and over is a pita. I really have spent hours on here looking for reassurance! I just have so much respect for the posters here that the was the only spot I knew I would get smart feedback. Thank you in advance--

2. ixxx69, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I would have suggested breaking some of these up into separate threads - it's kind of overwhelming to try to reply to your post. You're very nice about it, so I'll take a stab at a few items in general terms...

1. Sounds like a fine machine for your work, if a little overkill. You don't really need the discrete graphics, and while you probably don't need the extra CPU boost, it will help a little with longevity a couple years down the line, and the extra space on the 500GB SSD will be really nice to have.

2 & 3 & 4. You need to bite the bullet and purchase CC (or by some other means... I'm not judging). Buying into old versions of software is a bad idea IMO - just a matter of time before compatibility issues crop up as OS X is updated. What I don't understand is that you need PS & AI "everyday all day" for work but can't afford US$50/month? That's peanuts for a business that relies on that software.

5. Good to have backup! I wouldn't bother using it for migrating though.

6. Just my advice: No. Just start fresh with your new Mac. Clean install the software you need. Copy over your old documents. Mail, contacts and calendar, safari favorites, etc can usually sync'd via the cloud. Dropbox, etc. all syncs from the cloud. If you have a bunch of "preference" files (e.g. for photoshop), you can copy those over manually - you just have to do a little googling to find where they're located on the old Mac. You can migrate of course, but in my experience, a clean install is also just a good opportunity to do some (computer) house keeping.

7. I'm not following what this would have to do with your new Mac. You don't have to update the old Mac if you don't want to, whether you're migrating or starting from scratch on your new Mac.

Good luck!

3. simbadog1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

simbadog1999

Thank you to whomever moved this to the correct forum! :)

And thank you^^^ixxx69 for taking the time to reply!

In hindsight, I should have broken that up, rookie move. So in your opinion, should I save the $500 and get the 15" 2.2? I was thinking I would get an extra year out of the 2.5 version, but then again, I have a second son who will be needing a laptop in a few years! Ha

Re: cs6, I get it... I guess if I am spending that much for cs6, what does it matter if I pay for it monthly?

Re: Yosemite--I didn't want to give my hand-me-down computer to my kid and it is slow as all get out.

You rock!

4. pjfan macrumors regular

If you want the 500+ GB of storage, then go with the 15" you originalky picked out. Regarding your software subscriptions, continuing services are the current means to have routinely updated and current software. I've heard great things about adobes offering, but to each their own. ideally every subscription provider delivers better service than a product schlepping company. (Too much optimism?)

After about seven years of "migrations" between three macs, I successfully curbed my old user account and started fresh a few months back. I'm not as strict about it as the other forum goer, but it will absolutely run smoother.... But it might not be detectable difference for you. I have been amazed at my OSX experience (majority windows prior to seven years ago), specifically as I would format once or twice a year with my windows machines.

Either way, relax. Your new machine is blistering fast in comparison. I agree with all of what ix has stated, and you will have a smooth transition regardless of which machine you choose.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I don't know about Illustrator, but text in InDesign CS6 on a retina screen is unpleasant to look at. I keep Id CS6 around for a particular reason, and when I have to use it I'm unhappy.

6. leifp macrumors newbie

Although the non-retina assets of CS6 might bug you, the following will bug you more: Adobe has basically decided to stop supporting it. Does that matter? Well, I run CS5 through a VM because it's not supported on more recent OSX distributions. If you need it for work, CC is the only way to go. Or find non-Adobe software to get things done (which sounds outside of your comfort zone). I have the complete CS5 but also run Photoshop CC; it's the only mission critical piece I won't VM.

Why do I start with software before talking about hardware? Because it determines your hardware needs. If you end up deciding that Adobe is where you'll hang your hat, then the most power you can afford will help with the longevity of your hardware and software. Why? Adobe has been improving both multi-core CPU and GPU processing in its software recently and is likely to accelerate that in future.

Hope that helps.

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'm not sure why you think you know what my comfort zone is, or why you think I'm ignorant of what's happening in the Adobe world, but I'll let that pass. Perhaps you were addressing the OP?

I was responding a particular CS6 issue (text on a retina screen; there have been threads about it here). That's all I was doing.

I've been on CC since it was introduced, and will stay there.

But I need InDesign CS6 from time to time, for one particular task (using the Kindle generator plugin). So long as the plugin works, I don't care what else about CS6 doesn't work or isn't supported, because it's not what I use to get my work done on a daily basis. I use it at most 4-5 times a year, for a few hours at a time. I set up the books on InDesign CC, and then when that's all done, I send the book to InDesign CS6 to make the Kindle edition. The text looks bad, but at that point I don't care because I'm not working with the text any longer.

If some new version of OS X breaks it and Adobe won't make it work, then I'll change to a different method of making Kindles. They exist, and they work with CC, but I haven't bothered to learn to use them, because what I'm doing with CS6 gets the job done. If I have to, I will.

8. leifp macrumors newbie