Need Advice: Mac Mini - Video Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Onyxrune, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Onyxrune macrumors newbie

Hi, all.

I'm new to Mac's and looking for advice. I've recently considered the purchase of an entry-level Mac Mini (1.83 or 2.00 ghz). One of my primary interests is it's ability to perform DV video editing; likely through iMovie, as it comes preinstalled with the iLife package.

Does the Mac Mini handle basic home movie video editing without frustration? I would be importing video from my Canon ZR850 Mini DV camcorder, via the Firewire port.

Side note: I'm a long time PC user. Vista sucked the fun right out of my home computing experience. I presently own a Dell Inspiron Laptop 1.8 mhz Sempron with Vista SP1 (I detest), and a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 (very basic, but I like linux). My girlfirend recently bought a MacBook Pro and we both love it!

I appreciate any and all input.

Sincerely,
    Onyxrune

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Don't buy one now wait unti January 5th that's when hopefully the new mac mini will come out. They should then handle things better and be a whole lot more powerful.

3. Cory5412 macrumors member

Yeah, a Mac Mini should do the iMovie work just fine. Because they can't hold as much memory, a mini will start to get bogged down if you have really really huge iMovie projects, but it should be just fine even then, really.

Only thing I can say I'd recommend is having a big external hard disk drive available for projects you aren't working on, because DV footage adds up really quickly, in terms of disk space.

4. stukdog macrumors 6502

The Mac mini handles iMovie editing fine though it is not a screamer.

On a side note, if there are indeed new Mac minis introduced next week at Macworld, they'll likely include GPU's that perform much better than the current machines. I'd wait for those.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Yea, I agree with the above. DV is fine, but HD video footage will kick the Mini right between the legs. I suggest a used MacBook that is the polycarbonate variety with the X3100 Intel GMA. Slightly faster and better than the Mini. I've seen these MacBooks (1-2 years old) go for around the same price as the Mini w/the SuperDrive.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Just wait a few weeks and see what happens. MWSF is like next week so we'll know more then.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The only risk with waiting is that Apple may well drop the Firewire port on the new Mini. But even if they do, there'll be plenty of the current generation left, and you might even get one at clearance prices...

So yeah, waiting is your best bet, any way you cut it. :)

Also, FWIW: I've done some editing on my CoreDuo Blackbook, which has pretty similar specs to the current 2.0 Mini, and it's entirely doable. I would suggest maxing out your RAM, though.