Need Advice - Macbook battery and hard drive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daniel.w, Oct 19, 2010.

1. daniel.w macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

My macbook the last week seems to have gained an issue with its battery. The last two weeks it has started shutting down with around 30 minutes remaining without any warning and a "Service Battery" indicator has appeared in the battery menu. Friday it did this repeatedly after turning it back on starting with an hour remaining. The battery is 18 months old and has

Saturday after charging the mac would turn on and was stuck trying to boot for nearly an hour. I booted from the SL disk and did a Disk repair to see that it came up with disk cannot be repaired and to reinstall. After reinstalling everything on my mac and running disk warrior i am told by disk warrior that the disk is healthy.

I expect the hard disk issue is due to a result of it turning off and not shutting down properly. Although i am a bit worried about the disk.

Can anyone give me some advise on what the issue may be or tools that could help me find errors. Is Disk Warrior more reliable than the OSX disk tools?

I have booked a genius bar appointment to get them to look at the battery should i be looking to replace my hard drive as well considering its still under warranty?

Dan

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... and has what?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. daniel.w thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops forgot to put only 286 cycles. Is the battery causing the system to shut down likely to be the cause for the hard drive issues?

These are stats

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2409
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2749
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 286
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1323
    Voltage (mV): 11817

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not too likely. Have you calibrated your battery?

5. daniel.w thread starter macrumors newbie

Doing it for the third time in a week now. I normally let the battery run pretty much flat before plugging it in anyway so not sure it will change much but guess its worth a try.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not calibrating. Read the instructions in the link I posted.

7. daniel.w thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what i have done three times so far this week. Will this eventually get it back to how it used to be? or at least the 80% it should be on after the number of cycles?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While your battery health will fluctuate up and down somewhat, it's not likely that a battery with reduced health will improve significantly. Batteries die over time, which is why they're "consumables" and not covered by warranty, except for defects. There are things you can do to slow that process, but not to reverse it.