Need advice: MacBook or MacBook Pro 13" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Max(IT), Oct 6, 2015.

1. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The moment has arrived: my old good MBP 15", a late 2011 with 8 Gb and an SSD, is ready to be replaced.
    I want a Retina display, and I don't need a 15" screen anymore, since portability is more desirable than screen estate.
    The duty I'm going to throw at my new notebook will be quite light: office, Mail, a lot of Safari browsing and video watching, streaming from the net and from downloaded files (VLC my favorite player).
    So I'm very debated: the old good MacBook Pro 13", more powerful and versatile, or the glamorous MacBook ?
    Computational power between the twos is very different, but I don't really need so much power.
    I'm a little bit worried about watching videos (and I mean movies also) on the MacBook: it is a fanless cooled notebook after all.
    I know, you can't have the right answer for me, but any advice is more than appreciated.

2. newellj macrumors 601

I bought and for 13 days used the heck out of a rMB. Overall, I loved it. My uses include MS Office apps for large professional documents, Photoshop Lightroom for editing a huge library of raw files, and general email/net browsing.

I found the rMB a very good performer in all respects, and I loved the ultra thin and light physical profile.

I was OK with the single port. If you look at the adapter you'll need to charge and connect external devices as a hub, you may realize that it's really not an issue.

What drove me nuts was the keyboard. I really thought I'd get used to the short travel, and I really didn't. That is a totally personal consideration.

Short version: unless you work on immense files that need extended heavy use of the CPU or you are a hard core gamer, I would definitely not rule the rMB out. In the end, though, I went back to a 13" rMBP.

YMMV, obviously.

3. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Surely not a gamer, but what about movies ?
    Is the MacBook overheating?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The macbook can run any video no worries. Editing 4K in ohotoshop might be a struggle though.

5. newellj macrumors 601

The one I had never did (with videos). It was never more than slightly warm to the touch (~ 95* F IIRC) even doing major file ops.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Either one will work for your stated usage. I ended up going with the rMBP because I didn't like the rMB keyboard and I wanted the extra ports that the Pro offered.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Not a fan of the 1 port other than that I probably would of got the rMB over the 13" rMBP I ended up getting

8. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

today I decided to buy the rMBP 13", base model (120 Gb SSD / 8 Gb).
    I was very attracted by the new MacBook, for sure, but the lack of USB ports worried me.
    Next time maybe, in about 3-4 years.

9. newellj macrumors 601

There is also the unavoidable Gen 1 issue. I came out where you did, though I opted for more storage.

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

um the new macbook just look cool, and is simplified for light use. From the reviews and videos, if you are gonna stream video and web browse lightly ok. But if your gonna go a little further and try this for 7+ hours(no charge) opt for the extra power of the pro. I can easily get all day office use out of my pro, that includes pandora, youtube, netflix, amazon, chrome, w.e youtube videos I can get in. I test drove the macbook, and failed me at the 5.30 hour mark with my normal use. Keeping in mind same use, I can make it a full shift at work with my 2008 macbook 2.4 ghz still, with a new battery.

11. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

i was debated regarding the storage, but I had a definite budget and I had to choose between more storage or Applecare+.
    I choose the Applecare because, for a reason or another, Im always going around with a couple of external HDD in my bag, so internal storage mainly is for apps, while documents/movies are in the external HDDs.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Applecare can be bought anytime in the first year, you could have bought the bigger SSD and got the applecare when you had some extra cash.

13. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

Need to change the iPhone and the iPad in the next months, so i had to consider the budget right now.
    I don't have any remorse, since I'm going to take an external hdd with me nevertheless....

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Ahhh got to hate those first world problems eh???

15. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm a tech enthusiast... Not going to deny that

16. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The MacBook is junk. Apple is taking the p!ss with it only having one port. I wouldn't waste my money on such junk.

17. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

well, I don't remember last time I needed more than one port

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

If it even had 2 ports it wouldn't be so bad but it doesn't so you need a huge dongle to get any real use out of the computer.

19. Max(IT) thread starter Suspended

Max(IT)

whatever .... I bought the MBP 13"