Need advice: MacBook or MacBook Pro 13" ?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The moment has arrived: my old good MBP 15", a late 2011 with 8 Gb and an SSD, is ready to be replaced.
I want a Retina display, and I don't need a 15" screen anymore, since portability is more desirable than screen estate.
The duty I'm going to throw at my new notebook will be quite light: office, Mail, a lot of Safari browsing and video watching, streaming from the net and from downloaded files (VLC my favorite player).
So I'm very debated: the old good MacBook Pro 13", more powerful and versatile, or the glamorous MacBook ?
Computational power between the twos is very different, but I don't really need so much power.
I'm a little bit worried about watching videos (and I mean movies also) on the MacBook: it is a fanless cooled notebook after all.
I know, you can't have the right answer for me, but any advice is more than appreciated.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I bought and for 13 days used the heck out of a rMB. Overall, I loved it. My uses include MS Office apps for large professional documents, Photoshop Lightroom for editing a huge library of raw files, and general email/net browsing.

I found the rMB a very good performer in all respects, and I loved the ultra thin and light physical profile.

I was OK with the single port. If you look at the adapter you'll need to charge and connect external devices as a hub, you may realize that it's really not an issue.

What drove me nuts was the keyboard. I really thought I'd get used to the short travel, and I really didn't. That is a totally personal consideration.

Short version: unless you work on immense files that need extended heavy use of the CPU or you are a hard core gamer, I would definitely not rule the rMB out. In the end, though, I went back to a 13" rMBP.

YMMV, obviously.

Reactions: GeeMillz22

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Surely not a gamer, but what about movies ?
Is the MacBook overheating?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Either one will work for your stated usage. I ended up going with the rMBP because I didn't like the rMB keyboard and I wanted the extra ports that the Pro offered.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
today I decided to buy the rMBP 13", base model (120 Gb SSD / 8 Gb).
I was very attracted by the new MacBook, for sure, but the lack of USB ports worried me.
Next time maybe, in about 3-4 years.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland
um the new macbook just look cool, and is simplified for light use. From the reviews and videos, if you are gonna stream video and web browse lightly ok. But if your gonna go a little further and try this for 7+ hours(no charge) opt for the extra power of the pro. I can easily get all day office use out of my pro, that includes pandora, youtube, netflix, amazon, chrome, w.e youtube videos I can get in. I test drove the macbook, and failed me at the 5.30 hour mark with my normal use. Keeping in mind same use, I can make it a full shift at work with my 2008 macbook 2.4 ghz still, with a new battery.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There is also the unavoidable Gen 1 issue. I came out where you did, though I opted for more storage.
i was debated regarding the storage, but I had a definite budget and I had to choose between more storage or Applecare+.
I choose the Applecare because, for a reason or another, Im always going around with a couple of external HDD in my bag, so internal storage mainly is for apps, while documents/movies are in the external HDDs.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
i was debated regarding the storage, but I had a definite budget and I had to choose between more storage or Applecare+.
I choose the Applecare because, for a reason or another, Im always going around with a couple of external HDD in my bag, so internal storage mainly is for apps, while documents/movies are in the external HDDs.
Applecare can be bought anytime in the first year, you could have bought the bigger SSD and got the applecare when you had some extra cash.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Applecare can be bought anytime in the first year, you could have bought the bigger SSD and got the applecare when you had some extra cash.
Need to change the iPhone and the iPad in the next months, so i had to consider the budget right now.
I don't have any remorse, since I'm going to take an external hdd with me nevertheless....

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Need to change the iPhone and the iPad in the next months, so i had to consider the budget right now.
I don't have any remorse, since I'm going to take an external hdd with me nevertheless....
Ahhh got to hate those first world problems eh???

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
The moment has arrived: my old good MBP 15", a late 2011 with 8 Gb and an SSD, is ready to be replaced.
I want a Retina display, and I don't need a 15" screen anymore, since portability is more desirable than screen estate.
The duty I'm going to throw at my new notebook will be quite light: office, Mail, a lot of Safari browsing and video watching, streaming from the net and from downloaded files (VLC my favorite player).
So I'm very debated: the old good MacBook Pro 13", more powerful and versatile, or the glamorous MacBook ?
Computational power between the twos is very different, but I don't really need so much power.
I'm a little bit worried about watching videos (and I mean movies also) on the MacBook: it is a fanless cooled notebook after all.
I know, you can't have the right answer for me, but any advice is more than appreciated.
The MacBook is junk. Apple is taking the p!ss with it only having one port. I wouldn't waste my money on such junk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.