Need Advice: MacBook, or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -kumar-, Oct 10, 2008.

1. -kumar- macrumors member

i am one of the LONG waiting users waiting for the tuesday updates on macbooks. i am in grade 11 and im getting my first own personal computer. i will use it primarily for school work, web browsing, gaming during summer/on airplanes, and downloading movies/music and other stuff.

thats pretty much it. i was told that the MacBook isnt great for games, ie. the video card, speed and such. so im thinking about the new macbook pro.

thanks for all the advice.

2. CrossedBearings macrumors newbie

CrossedBearings

Generally speaking the macbook its aimed at what you are after. The MBP are really for people who make their machines work hard and use them for a living.

If you want to use it for gaming I would wait and see if the MB come with a dedicated GPU. That would be your only draw back if the MB still doesn't come with them.

But prety much I'd say the MB would be a good weapon of choice for starters.

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

if its not hardcore gaming then get the macbook. the money you save from not getn a pro you can get a psp for games on planes etc lolz

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I have a 2.0Ghz 2GB RAM BlackBook for doing exactly what you want to use it for and its amazing. I use illustrator and photoshop CS3 a lot for graphic design and its doesnt seam to bother it to much!

The gaming side i honestly can give my option cause ive never tried. But i wouldnt think it would be the ultimate gaming experience. Never no though :)

5. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Wait till the announcement to see what kind of graphics cards (hopefully not integrated intel) the MBs will have then go from there.

6. Minder Thr33 macrumors newbie

screen size might be a factor as well (unless they change it up and have a 15" Macbook)

7. jhu2 macrumors member

just my 2 cents.

I bought a macbook about 1 year to date and i kind of regret it. However, last year me was a lot different than the me now. Now i'm doing a lot more graphics design with photoshop, web design with dreamweaver, and photo editing in lightroom. And in the summer, played a little WoW, (which macbook sucks at.) When i played wow, it was only running at around 10-20 fps and 30 if i get lucky, couldn't do raids, couldn't do anything intensive. Soon, after graduation, I will need to do protein modeling and dna analysis as well. So the macbook isn't keeping up with what I need as much anymore. The fans are always on, the cpu temp is always in the 90's (degrees celsius).

I plan on switching to a pro when it comes out.

Honestly, if you have the extra 300-400 just get a pro and just regret it. I know i would have if i can do it again

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Huh?!...

Are you sure you meant to write regret there?

9. jhu2 macrumors member

Haha... it was early. I meant to say and DON'T regret it.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The Pro costs a lot more than just 300-400 more than a Macbook. What are you smoking?

11. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

Depends on how high end of a MacBook and how low end of a MacBook Pro we are talking about. Black MacBook with all options is like $2000, first MacBook Pro is like $2200.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Nice try, but your numbers are far from right especially on the black Macbook. Thanks for the laugh.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Come on, there's nothing wrong with smoking the wrong stuff!

@OP: Get the MBP. You won't regret it.

14. m1stake macrumors 68000

Uh, a black MacBook with 4GB of Apple RAM and AppleCare is $1950, which is not even close to all the options offered. Thanks for the laugh.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

and a base macbook pro with the exact config as you stated is 2600...so its still more than 300-400...

and plus, anyone thats done ANY research on buying a mac knows to NOT buy ram from apple...

16. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I was a long time user of the 13" macbooks. I loved the size and portability. However, the screen killed it. The viewing angles were horrible and the resolution was a little too low. I had to upgrade to something with a better screen, which was the MBP. If the new MB's come with better LED screens, I wouldn't mind going back to something smaller.

17. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

For the money it would cost to get into a decent MBP, I would get a Macbook to do my on the go stuff, and throw together a PC based desktop to do gaming and graphic heavy apps.

I couldn't imagine gaming on a laptop...